Menu

Karenciavo, could you explain the differences in the history between yr2 redesign and

classic? Your posts are so extremely helpful. I see the difference in the literature. What about if one is only looking to use it for the history?

I have signed up my son for a great books study with oxford tutorials.

I am deciding whether to save the money and use classic. Did the history change much for the rhetoric in redesign 2? The explanation of giving a World History Honors credit? Is that any different?

Thanks.

The history portion of Year 2 Redesign has been improved as well, but I'm not sure I would spend the extra money if all I was going to use was the history portion with one rhetoric student. You can download a sample of classic Year 2 Week 20 here and Redesign week 20 here. You can see from the samples that both the student history questions and the teacher's discussion script have been beefed up. There are 2 series of books added in Redesign that I love, American History by Era and Norton History of Modern Europe. If I were using classic I would add these in, you can see the specific titles at The Bookshelf.

HTH,

Karen

Though Karen is much more plugged in than I am, I want to add that I have noticed that there seems to be more alternative reading selections to Redesigned than classic. It seems that the alternative list may be geared to those that don't want to take such a reformed look at history (or is it just my imagination?). All the discussion questions, evaluations and such are geared to the main book list, but it is nice to have such a complete alternative listing of books in case some are not accessible or already read in previous years. Also, the organization of the Redesigned version seems much more user friendly. The layout, color coding, etc. make it easy to flip right to where you want to be in the curriculum. And did they have a government aspect as well organized in the Classic? Seems like this has been very refined too.

These days, we are finding other avenues for my kids to get writing, Lit. and the like, and I still like the redesigned for the history portion. We pick and choose each week and may pull in Government, Church History and other items as our schedule permits.

Upon comparing the links that Karen so graciously provided, my thoughts were just as you have shared above. The government in the redesign just looks amazing. I did use Yr. 1 and I prefer the layout of redesign anyway.

I also noticed what you said about the alternative resources provided in the redesign. I will be using redesign yr.2!

Thanks again.