Menu

What are the most asked for tests for admission?

Hello! I've searched the archives and have done a lot of internet searching but I'm not finding what I need.

I have a just-turned 9 year old who is a very bright boy. Up until now, we've left it at that without any formal testing. But I am starting to consider on-line coursework for him in an effort to meet his intellectual needs. He currently uses EPGY but through a group enrollment so he didn't have to apply to it.

I'm not sure which programs we will apply to in the future, if at all, but I think it is time to get him tested so that options are available to him. And, even if we choose to not take advantage of those options until later, he will be familiar with the testing process.

Which tests do you think are the most widely accepted by on-line programs for gifted youth (i.e. EPGY, Davidson, CTY, etc.)?

He is a very strong reader and has excellent verbal skills, but he's not a fan of handwriting. He does well in conceptual math but has difficulty writing out his problems because he does them in his head without being able to break down the steps he took (and because he gets stuck in the handwriting process or gets distracted while he's trying to write out what he's already done in his head). He loves history and science and has a great memory. But, we haven't schooled according to state-based (Texas) standards. For example, he has extensive knowledge of ancient history and Greek mythology but can't name the state capitols.

Given this information, which tests (that are widely accepted) would be most appropriate for him?

Thank you so much for any insight you can give me. It seems most of the information I find on-line addresses children in school.

I know davidson requires IQ and achievement. (You can substitute a portfolio for one, but you must have either IQ or achievement.) http://www.davidsongifted.org/youngscholars/Article/Davidson_Young_Scholars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

Thanks. I have that list and I tried to compare it to the EPGY list and found very few overlaps. I don't want to base the testing just on one program since I don't know yet what programs he'll be interested in. So, I'm trying to figure out which tests are the most widely accepted.

The SAT/ACT, but your DS is a bit young for that.

He'd be the right age for the EXPLORE, but you'd have to try petitioning CTY to accept that in lieu of the SCAT if you wanted to do their programs. EPGY is pretty flexible about which test is used to qualify.

Thanks. I have that list and I tried to compare it to the EPGY list and found very few overlaps. I don't want to base the testing just on one program since I don't know yet what programs he'll be interested in. So, I'm trying to figure out which tests are the most widely accepted.

I think you are going to find it varies a lot.

I know for us, the school my DS was accepted to wanted the WPPSI/WISC & WJ-III. So we paid for those two, and then decided to move, of course the new school wants the SB-V and the WIAT. :glare: (We've decided to HS, so it's a moot point, but it just goes to show that everyone wants something different.)

Like the PP said, SAT or ACT would be widely accepted, but 9 is probably too young.

Thanks everyone!

I think I might need to just print up as many lists as I can and cross-reference to narrow down the list. I really have no other idea about where to start with this. :willy_nilly:

I have the list from Davidson, EPGY, CTY and and Duke TIP. Are there any other "big ones" I should add to my list?

Thanks everyone!

I think I might need to just print up as many lists as I can and cross-reference to narrow down the list. I really have no other idea about where to start with this. :willy_nilly:

I have the list from Davidson, EPGY, CTY and and Duke TIP. Are there any other "big ones" I should add to my list?

Northwestern's NUMATS program? Also does EXPLORE but earlier...

I think we're trying it this year.