Menu

Which italic now?

desertmum

My ds is ready to start writing. After a lot of soul searching I settled with italic handwriting. I really like the fact that with italic the transition from manuscript into cursive seems easier. Well, I downloaded the startwrite demo and I got all excited when I saw the DG italic, the the Q

Queensland, andVvictorian modern cursive (which looks like a streamlined italic font anyway), and the New Zealand italic.

Now, of course, I'm confused. The all look so kiddie friendly. I especially like the fact some of these italic fonts have an uppercase G that looks less typographic and more easier to master for a small child.

Has anybody here tried the "alternative" italic fonts? Any comments? Are they just different italics or does the difference make them useless/better/worse/no different?

I'm sure you can tell I'm reaaaaally confused now. :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

There is small differences (like letter height and specific letters) but overall, imo, they are all equally good. It might help to look at the fonts side-by-side and decide which you prefer. If you are still confused, you can show it to your son and ask him which he prefers.

FWIW, I think if you just work through Penny Gardner's book with your son, it will be enough for handwriting instruction itself. Then, for copywork, you can choose an Italic font from those StartWrite offers.

HTH

post-13035-13535084967194_thumb.jpg

I have Penny Gardner's book and I love it. It just doesn't offer enough copy work for me. I tried making my own but I have carpal tunnel syndrome and I am leftie who writes with a hook approach, so I didn't get very far before my lettering became wobby.

I have briem italic font in my pc. The joiner program will not work no matter how sweetly I talk to the machine. Again I'm no computer geek so it could be something easy to solve, but I just don't know how. Could it be because I use Open Office and not MS Word?

I have Penny Gardner's book and I love it. It just doesn't offer enough copy work for me. I tried making my own but I have carpal tunnel syndrome and I am leftie who writes with a hook approach, so I didn't get very far before my lettering became wobby.

I have briem italic font in my pc. The joiner program will not work no matter how sweetly I talk to the machine. Again I'm no computer geek so it could be something easy to solve, but I just don't know how. Could it be because I use Open Office and not MS Word?

Thank you for the sample. Very very helpful. I just ordered startwrite too! Why? See below...

Is Penny Gardner's font in Startwrite?

Not exactly, startwrite has the dubay-getty italic and some others which are really cute. I intend to use the instructions and methodology from Penny Gardner's book and make my own copywork using DG from startwrite. My husband made a very wise observation when he told me that ds is likely to personalise his italics as he grows so I shouldn't get to hung-up on one particular font.

...startwrite has the dubay-getty italic and some others which are really cute....

Yes, Penny Gardner's Italic is almost like the Getty-Dubay Italic.

The other Italic style that I find closest to G-D is Queesnland and I like it best among all the Australian styles. The NSW Foundation font is too narrow for my liking.

Your dh is right. People will naturally personalize their handwriting and it may change from life stage to life stage. I think we (homeschooling parents) obssess too much (and unnecessarily) about choosing just the right handwriting style.

Yes, Penny Gardner's Italic is almost like the Getty-Dubay Italic.

The other Italic style that I find closest to G-D is Queesnland and I like it best among all the Australian styles. The NSW Foundation font is too narrow for my liking.

Your dh is right. People will naturally personalize their handwriting and it may change from life stage to life stage. I think we (homeschooling parents) obssess too much (and unnecessarily) about choosing just the right handwriting style.

I apologize for not seeing your reply sooner. Sometimes this board moves so fast post (and replies) get lost very quickly. Thank you for your input.

Here's a :thumbup: