Menu

which math curriculum is this??

I saw something that looked really interesting, and didn't save it on my master list! :glare: It seemed like a program for kids who were mathy, and it started in either pre algebra or algebra, and went on through really advanced stuff, I think. I remember thinking that, if a student started in 6th grade, the youngest they recommend, that they wouldn't be able to finish it all. The curriculum seemed to emphasize exploratory math, I think. I remember thinking that it seemed more untraditional, while covering traditional topics (and more), and that it would be good for someone who liked SM.

Anyone??

eIMACS -- Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science? Their Set Theory class looks especially challenging. From that link:

This course introduces students to the axiomatic set theory of John von Neumann, Paul Bernays and Kurt Godel ("NBG"). This theory has a central role in modern mathematics, providing the basic language in which most of mathematics is expressed. (Note: A small, select group of graduates of this class may be invited to take a sequence of extraordinarily advanced courses based upon the highly rigorous Elements of Mathematics curriculum.)

http://www.eimacs.com/student_aml_overview.htm?navname=STUDENTS&toopen=ul1,ul3&scrolly=0&subnavid=a4

ETA: More info from Hoagies' Gifted:

eIMACS is the on-line iteration of what started as MEGSSS, a program for math-gifted public school students. It was designed head-to-toe with highly mathy kids in mind. "Students enrolling in the EM program must have completed a standard mathematics program to at least fifth grade level."

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/eimacs.htm

Edited by MBM
added a link and more info

Just want to mention that I think we are going to sign our son up for eIMACS this summer to see what it's like. He is also doing AoPS, but this seems to be more about logical reasoning and mathematics. They also offer computer science courses. I will post updates about my son's experience for those who might be interested.

:)

Yeah, sounds like Art of Problem Solving - http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/index.php?

YES! Thank you! :001_smile:

eIMACS -- Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science? Their Set Theory class looks especially challenging. From that link:

http://www.eimacs.com/student_aml_overview.htm?navname=STUDENTS&toopen=ul1,ul3&scrolly=0&subnavid=a4

ETA: More info from Hoagies' Gifted:

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/eimacs.htm

This looks interesting. I'll save this one as well!

Just want to mention that I think we are going to sign our son up for eIMACS this summer to see what it's like. He is also doing AoPS, but this seems to be more about logical reasoning and mathematics. They also offer computer science courses. I will post updates about my son's experience for those who might be interested.

The program looks really interesting! I can't find tuition or information about how long each of the course is on their website. Has anyone found this? Would you please share the link to this specifically? Thank you! :)

I was in a MEGSSS program for a couple of years. The EM books are seriously good but also (I think) tough to do on your own at home. I've posted some about them over the years... search for IMACS or Elements of Mathematics or MEGSSS.

I have an undergraduate major in math - and the logic I did with the EM books in 7th and 8th grades was what I did in my first year of undergraduate work.

I don't know how eIMACS works and wasn't able to see enough on their site. You can buy the EM books through them, but you can't get any ancillaries which makes it tough... I don't have copies of my old tests & they were good with challenges.

I'm torn between using the EM books or AoPS when my son gets through Singapore. I haven't seeing an AoPS book yet but I'm planning on getting their prealgebra book when it's published.