Menu

WWE 1 Narrations

*Jen*

I have a question about the Narrations in WWE1. We just started the first week and my son loves to retell stories so his narrations can be as long as the original passage. Should I let him retell the whole story and then ask him for just one part that he likes the best for me to write down or should I work with him on condensing the passage down into a sentence or two?

recalling the sequence of events in a story, remembering the important facts and including an appropriate level of detail in narrations are important skills. My dc did this at that age too.

However, I also think you should encourage him to condense his narration to one or two sentences before you write it down for him. Finding the central idea in a passage is an important skill as well :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the point of WWE is to draw out the main points and summarize in just a few sentences. In WWE1, they just need to find one thing they remember about the story. So after you go through your questions, just say "What is ONE thing you remember from this story?" You're not asking him to retell the story, and you're not even asking for the main points yet (that's in WWE2). You're just asking for basically one sentence about something in the passage.

I believe there are instructions in the beginning that talk about kids that try to retell the whole thing? Or that might be in the instructor text or the writing lecture. I forget.

Retelling the entire story for narrations is more of a CM style of narrations. This is a great skill for a child to have. It helps with processing and learning new subject matter. So I wouldn't discourage ds narrations. However, WWE is trying to get the child to pull out the main ideas for the writing process, which is also an important aspect. So I would suggest after he retells the story that you have him tell you his favorite part or one thing that was important to him in the story.