Menu

Ordering Singapore 3A and 3B (standards) - can't decide what to get.

tammyw

We are just completing 2B and I want to be ready (this is for my dd8). Up until now, we have only been working our way through the Textbook, Standards edition, and haven't really wanted anything else. She is really good with math it seems and can do all the mental math without any trouble. The only issue we've encountered so far with math is she hasn't memorized many of her times tables.

I'm wondering if we should just stick with the textbook for 3A and 3B also, or if I should consider adding the workbook and/or HIG. I had the HIG and never referred to it.

Also, I have to admit, much of the textbook for 2A and 2B, we did together, verbally (lots of mental math).

Just thought I'd ask for more advice. I know this is a common topic and I've searched through older threads and still unsure what to do.

TIA!

Hi! We've just finished 2B and will start 3A this fall. I spent my last week mapping it out to add in memorizing facts. Just to let you know what we do, I do add in the workbook (she can do it independently) and the Challenging Word Problems book too. We do the textbook all orally and we do the CWP a semester behind for review and do it on the dry erase board which my dd loves. My dd, too, is good at mental math, but she's not fast with her facts like I would like her to be. We started using XtraMath

and it's helping a lot with that. She's doing addition, subtraction and multiplication, but there is a way to go in and change what you want your child to do.

We spent the bulk of 2B memorizing the 3 and 4 multiplication family, since 2 and 5 were easy. I still noticed if we went a week without reviewing, she starting losing all her facts. It takes a lot of time. I'm hoping by her using the computer to review this summer, 3A will go a lot smoother. 3A adds in the 6, 7, 8, and 9 families right in a row.

I really recommend the HIG, particularly when you get to 3rd year. Also, I suggest you get the IP 2; she can work a year behind in that and it will still be challenging. Do you use the CWP at all? Even if you don't do every problem in the book, I definitely recommend it.

The textbook only begins to introduce the main concepts. You can, and should, go deeper. I also think, given that she's been doing a fair amt of 2 orally, that she should begin to start writing out her equations/work/thought process. As she progresses through Singapore Math, she will need to be able to write out her work. As the problems get more complicated (particularly as you incorporate the CWP), learning how to write out the problems in a systematic, orderly fashion is critical.

Thanks for the responses so far!

I don't even know what IP 2 is or CWP :) This is why I need you Singapore-smart friends!

ETA: I just figured out what CWP is - Challenging Word Problems. We haven't done this, but it sounds like I need to buy. It sounds like I should buy:

Home Instructor's Guide

Textbook

Workbook?

Challenging Word Problems

Is that right? How do you work through them all? Is there a step-by-step that makes sense? Since we've only ever used the textbook, I've never had to think about working with several books at once.

Also, what is the best place to buy Singapore? And I assume continuing with Standards version is the best?

Edited by tammyw

Thanks for the responses so far!

I don't even know what IP 2 is or CWP :) This is why I need you Singapore-smart friends!

ETA: I just figured out what CWP is - Challenging Word Problems. We haven't done this, but it sounds like I need to buy. It sounds like I should buy:

Home Instructor's Guide

Textbook

Workbook?

Challenging Word Problems

Is that right? How do you work through them all? Is there a step-by-step that makes sense? Since we've only ever used the textbook, I've never had to think about working with several books at once.

Also, what is the best place to buy Singapore? And I assume continuing with Standards version is the best?

I would add Intensive Practice 2 to that. There is only the US edition for IP, so order that. Yes on the workbook, too. Re working through them all: we have not planned out next year yet, but this year (3rd) we did things a little differently than other people. We used the Textbook, CWP and the IP during the year, and then we went back to the Workbook over the last 2 months for areas I found weaker. The IP is more challenging and suited my son better. We would do the CWP in the afternoon, so we did basically two sessions of math a day: 45 minutes in the morning, and 30 minutes in the afternoon.

Next year, (well, we school year-round so we'll begin in July) I think we are going to do IP and CWP in the morning, and then the "next day's" lesson in the Text and WB in the afternoon (so we'd to the tougher math in the morning, when he's fresher.) A little "backwards" but I think the Workbook provides needed, if somewhat dull, repetition and drill that I don't want to overlook. If your child needs extra practice, the Extra Practice books are useful.

I have bought at both Singaporemath.com and Rainbow Resource. Rainbow Resource had a better shipping price and the interface is more user-friendly in terms of ordering, but both were fine. I would go with Standards; it's more pricey, but the HIG is much better (I have used both, and trust me, the US HIG is annoying! ;)

I hope this helps.

Regarding the Intensive Practice books, I went to the Singapore site and see that they have them as 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b. Do they not relate to the same level as the other books (e.g. 3a, 3b)? Just wondering if I'm looking at the right stuff.

Challenging Word Problems - would I get Level 3, for Primary Mathematics?

I am also wondering if I should get any "extra" book for Level 2, since we are just finishing 2B?

Regarding the Intensive Practice books, I went to the Singapore site and see that they have them as 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b. Do they not relate to the same level as the other books (e.g. 3a, 3b)? Just wondering if I'm looking at the right stuff.

Challenging Word Problems - would I get Level 3, for Primary Mathematics?

I am also wondering if I should get any "extra" book for Level 2, since we are just finishing 2B?

Re IP- You would get EITHER 2a and 2b (if you decided to work these harder books a bit "behind" where you are in the Text and WB) or 3a and 3b if you feel your child is up to the challenge. People do both.

Re CWP: same thing. Some people have their children do the same level as the Text and WB they're currently doing (so you would do 3). Some people feel that the CWP is challenging enough when done "lagging", so in that case you'd choose 2. Either way, they're challenging :)

I wouldn't get any Extra Practice books unless your child is struggling with remembering information, like math facts.

You're welcome. And there's no NEED to do the IP, just so you know-it's a more intensive approach to Singapore, if your child likes math. The CWP, however, I think is a pretty important addition. Maybe add them in slowly, and see how it goes?

Our day looks like this: 10 min reviewing a skill or reviewing facts

10 minutes doing CWP twice a week (half a year behind so we'll finish 2 by Christmas) and doing mental math twice a week from the back of HIG

20 minutes with the new lesson using the ideas in the HIG and white board (we love math games)

15 minutes or so her doing the workbook on her own (lets me work with my 4 yo)

So math takes us about an hour. She gets the concepts with Singapore and I haven't yet had to reteach a concept because she usually gets it the first time. However, since we're already taking an hour, I don't add the IP book. She's usually tired mentally by our regular work, and the IP 2 book was just frustrating at that point.

It's great to hear how it works for others, too!

I would get CWP 2 as well. CWP really ramps up I'm level 3 and level 2 will give you a good intro. We take a break from the TB/WB at the end of each B level to work the entire book. It takes us about a month. CWP is a important part of SM for us and I highly recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone's responses, I just got our books from Rainbow Resources yesterday. This year's math will be much more in depth than it has been in the past, since we always just used the textbook up to this point, and that's it.

I got for 3a and 3b Standards - HIG, Workbook, Textbook, and Challenging Word Problems 2 and 3. The only thing is, now I'm wishing I'd ordered the Intensive Practice books :( It sounds like they are really good for taking their math skills to the next level (and math is one area I don't want to be so unschooly about). I know it was mentioned that we could do level 2 OR level 3 for Intensive Practice. Should I just order ALL of them and decide from there (since I also have a 5 year old son that will eventually use all these Singapore books). Or is there a consensus as to which would be more useful at this stage?

Any final thoughts would be great. I am mad I didn't order them when I had the free shipping with Rainbow Resources (I worked hard to get to the $150 so I could get the free shipping).

Any final thoughts would be great. I am mad I didn't order them when I had the free shipping with Rainbow Resources (I worked hard to get to the $150 so I could get the free shipping).

You can order new (& sometimes used) from HER, & last time I ordered, shipping was about $5. HTH!