Menu

Mystery of History & Story of the World

weskls

Questions about using both Mystery of History & Story of the World.

I am going to start Story of the World and have heard that some also use Mystery of History together. Is there a good reason to use both programs together is one missing something that the other captors?

Anyone who has used both programs please give me your opinion.

Thank you,

Wendy

I own neither resource (yet), so I can only tell you what I've heard.

The major strength of The Mystery of History series, from what I can tell, is that it is explicitly and blatantly Christian. It places Christ at the center of history, and includes the events narrated in the Old Testament to a much larger extent than The Story of the World does. However, The Story of the World is not anti-Christian at all, from what I've read of it.

Also, The Mystery of History apparently schedules things out somewhat, including projects and suggesting additional readings much like the Activity Books do for The Story of the World. Some people really prefer what they find in The Mystery of History in this respect, for various reasons.

Other strengths and weaknesses, I'm sure you'll be able to hear from those that actually own the resources.

I'm using both because I have a wide age range and wanted to do history with all the kids together. It's been going well, but I think it's not really necessary. I always say that I prefer SOTW for grammar stage and MOH for logic stage, and I still stick by that. Next year I'm going to separate the kids again and allow the 13yo to do MOH pretty much on his own while I do SOTW with the younger kids.

My first year HS I tried to use both.

I realized that I could really only keep one ball up in the air and I chose STOW because I could read the chapter to our whole family at supper on Monday, then we would do our history readings, narrations, summaries, etc the Tuesday and Wednesday. Also, I really appreciate the maps included in the STOW activity book.

Finally, I did do the MOH timeline the first year and found that it was beyond what my then 6yo could truly comprehend. The reality of it was that I was doing the timeline and I didn't want to do the timeline! Later, I listened to an audio lecture by Susan Wise Bauer and she explained how timelines were an abstraction of an abstraction and best left for students in the logic stage. After my experience, I agreed with her and just had my logic stage make his own timeline (which he could do completely on his own! :001_smile: )

I did want to use MOH because it connected more to the Bible, but in the end, I had to go with what worked better.

BiblioPlan combines the two together. However, I must say that it was a lot of overlapping for us. Sometimes we skipped one or the other because the content was the same.

I've used both, and I love both. Choose one or the other, imho. If you want a more Christ-centered approach, go with MOH. If you don't, go with SOTW. I personally love MOH and will probably use it again. I just think the stories are beautiful, and the timelines and activities are fun.

I split things into categories - read aloud and independently. Some fluffy reading is great, but I want dd to really be able to read content and learn to infer from the text and previous text. This is why I would use both in the logic stage, along with other references. :) You must teach them to answer the why and understand the how.

I split things into categories - read aloud and independently. Some fluffy reading is great, but I want dd to really be able to read content and learn to infer from the text and previous text. This is why I would use both in the logic stage, along with other references. :) You must teach them to answer the why and understand the how.

I am curious about this. Which is the read aloud and which is to be read independently by a logic stage child? I'm assuming SOTW is the one read independently since it's easier, but maybe there's a different reason for the opposite answer. I'll have a 3rd & a 5th grader this year, so I've got to figure out how to approach both. What are your thoughts?

PS, Neither has really had any SOTW (save for 12 chapters of vol. 1 three years ago).

I am curious about this. Which is the read aloud and which is to be read independently by a logic stage child? I'm assuming SOTW is the one read independently since it's easier, but maybe there's a different reason for the opposite answer. I'll have a 3rd & a 5th grader this year, so I've got to figure out how to approach both. What are your thoughts?

PS, Neither has really had any SOTW (save for 12 chapters of vol. 1 three years ago).

Exactly, I am letting dd now read through SOTW without me. :001_smile: I am getting the JW book mp3's for littlest - I broke down and got the stinker a player. It was inexpensive. :)

I have independent reads - literature selections, SOTW ...

You know, I'll post the first quarter here as soon as I finish work! LOL