Menu

Progeny Press ??

The Progeny Press guides definitely CAN be enough -- that's all I did with my fourth grader this year for literature. I didn't use it in a straight by the book way, either, I decided some of it would be oral, some written, and I would pick and choose which writing assignments or suggested extra activities I wanted him to do. Of course you pick the books based on your child's reading level and interests. By doing it this way we did about one a month, although if you had your child write out the answer to all the questions you might end up doing one every 6-8 weeks. (mine has terrible handwriting so that's the reason for a lot of the oral work)

With my older son we did Lightning Lit, which he enjoyed immensely (and so did I). We did most of what was asked there, although I'd have him pick one or two of the end of chapter writing assignments, not all of them. We didn't exactly follow their schedule because they allowed more time for reading than he needed. We would do a lit lesson and an exercise a day (on average), and he would read to whatever point later in the day or at night. So for this reason we finished Lightning Lit early (end of January, I think), and finished off the year with Progeny Press guides.

I have been intrigued by Mosdos and looked at it countless times on the website. It looks pretty neat, but it's also pretty pricey, and I can't gauge enough from the samples how well I or the kids might like it.