Menu

1.) Would Saxon 87 = R & S 7? 2.) Would you skip R & S 6 after SM 5B?

profmom

We have used Singapore since the beginning -- EB through 5B for my oldest, and I can't believe we're considering switching! We're seriously considering R & S for ds (#2), which got dd thinking that she'd like to use a different program too.

Dd is finishing SM 5B and I had her take the Saxon placement test. She tested into 87 easily and had the minimum score for going into Algebra 1/2. We *might* consider switching to R & S and I'm wondering:

A.) Are the placement tests accurate?

1.) Would Saxon 87 = R & S 7?

2.) Would you skip R & S 6 in this situation?

3.) SM users -- dd has always done well with SM but thinks she'd like to switch because she'd like more practice on the new concepts. Would you? I hadn't decided what to do after 6B next year.

Thanks!

First of all, my dd11 (6th grade next year) took the Saxon placement test and placed easily into their Algebra 1. She is not ready, mentally for that though. Intellectually, MAYBE, but even there I'm not too sure. I'm questioning how accurate they are.

We will be using R&S Math with some extra from Singapore next year. She's doing 5B right now (our first thing we've tried with Singapore). Looking at R&S math 8--it's way more advanced than some of the others in some of the concepts, at least it seems that way to us. I also got her an R&S math 7, and it looks more on her level. We'll work through the things on that level that will help strengthen her math skills, then move on to the 8th grade book.

Maybe you can look on a Rod & Staff site and see what the pages look like to you and see if it would help you decide which level to go with.

It's hard to tell sometimes! I hope you find what works for you!

I'm questioning how accurate they are.

We will be using R&S Math with some extra from Singapore next year. She's doing 5B right now (our first thing we've tried with Singapore).....I also got her an R&S math 7, and it looks more on her level.

Thanks! This is the first time I've actually considered switching, and I can't say that we will. There have been times that dd has been challenged with SM, but she has always been able to do well with it. Once we discuss a challenging concept, she catches on quickly. However, she thinks she'd rather have a program that doesn't move as quickly so she has more time with each topic. Interestingly, there are Keys To... books on the topics she mentioned as wishing she had more time with, plus we could use more of the SM supplements.

Does it seem like R & S 7 is the next step after SM 5B? Do you know if SM through 5B covers the material in R & S 6? Even though I'm torn, I'm not sure I care if we switch from SM at this point since I wasn't sure about continuing with NEM after SM 6.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with the Saxon placement and R & S so far!

Thanks, Ellie! Do you feel that the Saxon placement tests are accurate then? By following the results, she would never use a text labeled 6th grade.

I think so.

Is there a problem with never using a text labeled 6th grade?

Is there a problem with never using a text labeled 6th grade?

Just that I don't want to assume that my dd is so-o smart that she can skip a level. (She's a smart girl, but we have never tried to race or skip through materials and have called her whatever grade she'd be for ps. Of course, this wouldn't change if we skipped a text labeled 6th grade math.) If SM through 5B adequately covers the material through R & S 6, then that's fine -- just making sure. I don't think she needs a year of review, if that's what it would be.

Thanks for your help!