Menu

Pen or pencil for teaching cursive?

Which do you use? If you use a pen, what type do you use? I plan to use a vintage penmanship book to start teaching cursive in the fall, and I wonder which I should have Bug use. A pen would definitely be more enjoyable for her. She has some fine motor delays, and is prone to gripping a pencil too tightly, as well as bearing down too hard. I wonder if a felt-tip pen would help correct this.

:bigear:

I have heard that using a pen for handwriting can be helpful. That was on our sheet of things to try when we talked to a PT to help my son with his handwriting. I forgot about that one and glad you reminded me. :001_smile:

So how does using a pen help with the pressing too hard issue? :lurk5: My oldest has been pressing too hard lately. I've pointed it out to him, and that has helped some. His handwriting is actually pretty nice when he doesn't press down so hard!

So how does using a pen help with the pressing too hard issue? :lurk5: My oldest has been pressing too hard lately. I've pointed it out to him, and that has helped some. His handwriting is actually pretty nice when he doesn't press down so hard!

My very unscientific thinking is that a pen creates a more visible line than a pencil, with equal pressure. They also seem to glide more smoothly over paper than pencils.

I recently bought two disposable fountain pens for my 12 yo DS to try. He really loves them. I got them primarily for cursive, but he's using them for many subjects.

For applying too much pressure, I've found a mechanical pencil to work very well. We use a Papermate model that has a slightly larger barrel than a pencil and is very easy to grip. But I think the pencil is going to be more for math now than anything else.

I'll have to try a mechanical pencil. I imagine if he pressed too hard, the lead would break easily, so he'd be forced not to do that? :D

I showed him the difference between his writing when he presses too hard and his writing when not pressing that hard. It was a huge difference. The too hard writing was very jagged, and the not too hard was nice and round.

too much pressure....put a piece of fun foam under his work (press too hard and it makes holes.) or if the pressure is from death grip on pencil put a little styrofoam ball on the shaft to pinch like a grip ....pinch lightly don't crush....

I like erasable pens from papermate for initial cursive instruction