Menu

X-Post: Anyone use Hands-On Sculpting?

The Hands-On Sculpting book is recommended in WTM for both middle and high school. I'm looking for a good, basic introduction to sculpting techniques with some easy projects that a student can have success with.

Has anyone used this book? If so, what are your opinions? Would it be appropriate for a 7th grader? Any other books you like for sculpting?

Thanks.

Louise

We used the first half of the book - the second half was human type figures where you needed wires inside - haven't made it there yet. The hardest part for me was using Sculpey (cant remember if the book recommends it, or we chose it). I refused to use my oven to bake it - I used an old toaster oven plugged in outside - and it was really hard to bake anything correctly - things burned, bubbled etc - there is a real learning curve to getting it right in a toaster oven. If you can find clay that just dries on its own and doesn't need to be baked, you'd be in better shape.

We used the first half of the book - the second half was human type figures where you needed wires inside - haven't made it there yet. The hardest part for me was using Sculpey (cant remember if the book recommends it, or we chose it). I refused to use my oven to bake it - I used an old toaster oven plugged in outside - and it was really hard to bake anything correctly - things burned, bubbled etc - there is a real learning curve to getting it right in a toaster oven. If you can find clay that just dries on its own and doesn't need to be baked, you'd be in better shape.

Thanks for the feedback. I've never used Sculpey before. Is there a detriment to baking it in a regular oven?

Thanks for the feedback. I've never used Sculpey before. Is there a detriment to baking it in a regular oven?

There are some fumes, so you are supposed to bake it in a well-ventilated area. We have only ever done this when there was snow outside because we have allergies. I prefer air-dry clays.

• 2 weeks later...
We did about half of it one summer. It was easy to do and we definately were pleased with our results, but I don't have any experience in sculpting at all, so I'm not a good judge. I can just tell you that it was easy to use.

Would you mind sharing with me what the Table of Contents is for Hands On Sculpting? I'm searching for this book but it's hard to find. I'd like to look for other book possibilities, but I don't really know what I'm looking for, since I don't know anything about sculpting.

I'm guessing that this particular book is aimed at an art form, rather than making pots and Christmas ornaments and such, but I'm not sure. Are there particular art principles that are taught in this book? If I could see the TOC, I'm thinking I'd have a better idea.

Thanks!

Would you mind sharing with me what the Table of Contents is for Hands On Sculpting? I'm searching for this book but it's hard to find. I'd like to look for other book possibilities, but I don't really know what I'm looking for, since I don't know anything about sculpting.

I'm guessing that this particular book is aimed at an art form, rather than making pots and Christmas ornaments and such, but I'm not sure. Are there particular art principles that are taught in this book? If I could see the TOC, I'm thinking I'd have a better idea.

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Sculpting-First-Relaxing-Satisfying/dp/0945339518

Thank you! That inside look is very helpful. The frustrating thing is, I have looked on amazon.com before and couldn't find the inside look into the book. I regularly search amazon.ca, chapters.ca, and then amazon.com for books, if I can't find something here in Canada. And now it's there.....sigh. Thanks for looking....I should have just checked again before I posted. I guess it's random when books show up on those sites.

And anyway, the description and excerpts tell me what I wanted to know about sculpting in general. Now I'm going to hunt down the book for myself. It looks like fun. :)