Menu

Poll: High schools randomly drug testing for extracurricular activities (good/bad)

Random Drug testing  

1. 1. Random Drug testing

• Yes, only the clean and sober should be allowed to participate
    • Yes, but offer help to those with + tests
    • No, the best place for kids on drugs is a safe extracurricular activity
    • No, it's not within their rights to test my child (Big Brother)
    • Other, please explain

According to the newspaper, our local schools are considering a random drug testing policy for all extracurricular activities. I was wondering what The Hive's opinions were on this topic. :)

There are limits, established by legal precedent, to random drug testing:

-Federal money can go only to schools that have existing drug-prevention programs including referral to treatment or counseling for students identified as drug users.

-There can be no academic suspension for use, only the loss of extracurricular privileges.

-Testing results must remain confidential.

Funds for testing of students are limited to the following:

- Students who engage in competitive, extracurricular, school-sponsored activities

-Other students who, along with a parent or guardian, have signed a consent form to participate in a random testing program

http://www.gazette.com/articles/drug_36241___article.html/explored_random.html[/font]

When I was a teenager I would have been screaming about civil liberties the 4th amendment (and I never did anything the least bit illegal in high school, except for a few puffs on a cigarette once!)

As an old and bitter lady, I'm all "Good! Dern kids get what they deserve!"

So I guess I'm torn.

I wholeheartedly believe in periodic testing for athletes. There are three reasons for this:

1. Drugs may give an unfair advantage to the player.

2. It's a tax-payer sponsored activity, therefore the tax payer deserves to have upstanding students participate.

3. Athletes are supposed to be positive role model and representative of his peers. If he can't do that on both academic and drug planes, he should be benched until grades/drug (alcohol) test is at pre-approved standards.

In our district if a student does not sign the drug agreement form, he will not be allowed to participate in the sport. There is no forcing of signing, but if a child wants to play, he will agree to the conditions.