Menu

FLL & hands-on activities?

atozmom

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make FLL more hands on? I ran across this idea from an older thread here. (thanks Stacy) I love this idea (the books - not so much) and I am thinking of trying to incorporate this sort of grammar notebook/art book with FLL. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Have you done any other hands-on activities with FLL? Hands-on activities keep him engaged. He also LOVES to draw. Any thoughts or ideas welcome and very much appreciated. :001_smile:

We just started FLL 1 about a month ago. We are on lesson 26. So far my DS has drawn a picture for almost everything. I bought a primary journal to use.

First lesson was the caterpillar poem, so I wrote out the poem and he drew a picture to go with it. Same for the story narrations. He will narrate them to me and I will write them down. Then he will draw a picture about the story.

With the nouns of different family members, I write the names neatly and he copies them on the line below and then draws a picture of the people.

For the address lessons this week, I wrote down our address and he drew a picture of our house.

So far this is working really well and he really enjoys doing FLL. When I bought it, I did not think he would want to do it all, so I definitely think the picture drawing is helping.

We just started FLL 1 about a month ago. We are on lesson 26. So far my DS has drawn a picture for almost everything. I bought a primary journal to use.

First lesson was the caterpillar poem, so I wrote out the poem and he drew a picture to go with it. Same for the story narrations. He will narrate them to me and I will write them down. Then he will draw a picture about the story.

With the nouns of different family members, I write the names neatly and he copies them on the line below and then draws a picture of the people.

For the address lessons this week, I wrote down our address and he drew a picture of our house.

So far this is working really well and he really enjoys doing FLL. When I bought it, I did not think he would want to do it all, so I definitely think the picture drawing is helping.

Thank you. This is pretty much what I had in mind. Glad to know it is working well for you. Thanks! :001_smile:

Honestly, it is short enough that we don't find a lot of need for hands-on activities. It really only takes a few minutes per lesson. That said, we did go outside for the verb lesson and "act out" each action word. :)

I know the lessons are short, but adding in the extra helps him retain. It also makes him want to come back for more each day. We started FLL 1/2 at the end of last year and he complained every time we got it out. It was too repetitive for him. By adding in the extras, I don't think he will complain about it being repetitive because he will be enjoying the activities that go with it. I like your idea of acting out the verbs. :001_smile: