Menu

Anyone use Artner American history? Need reviews please

We've been using it, and plan on continuing; what do you want to know?:)

ETA: I won't be able to reply this afternoon, but should be able to reply late tonight or tomorrow a.m. Fire off the questions and I'll try to help.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

I was just curious how it is used. Is it just a list of books to read? Thanks!

For each of the 8 units, there is a "Fact Sheet" (includes what to read from Everything You Need to Know About American History Homework) that lists dates, people, events, etc., a page of "Study Helps" (from the What Your X Grader Needs to Know books), a few optional activities, and the book lists.

I haven't used it yet, but plan to add additional readings to SL7 this year.

Judo Mom gave you a good little overview; it is more than just a book list. I find the basic fact sheet to be very helpful--I can do just the basics (go over the dates/people/places to know and do the reading from What Your ___ Grader Needs to Know), or I can add in as much additional reading as I am able using the lists. There are also suggestions for songs or poems to memorize (the actual words to these are not included, but they are familiar and easy to find). The reading lists are broken up into levels, so you can find something for a younger child (CoFA books, some easier Landmark titles, and others that will look familiar if you scan lists from SL, Veritas, etc...) or something for a more advanced reader (Albert Marrin books and the more advanced Landmarks). I like that it gives a basic framework so that I can go deep or go light, and still get it done.

It does not have any comprehension questions or crafty ideas, so you will need to look elsewhere if that is important to you.

• 1 month later...
Do you need the What your ___ needs to know? If so, which ones? Thanks!

It uses What Your 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th Grader Needs to Know; these books serve as the factual "spine" of your history reading. You could use another American history spine if you wanted, and just line up the dates for your reading with each of the units in Artners.

I got my What Your __ Grader Needs to Know books off Paperback Swap. Very, very cheap. :)