Menu

AP Eng Lang & Comp - do I need to add lit?

My son will be taking AP English Lang & Comp next year through PHC. I think there is a fair amount of reading to demonstrate various writing styles. But, is that adequate? Do I need to add literature for the year? I don't know how busy the class will keep him.

My son will be taking AP English Lang & Comp next year through PHC. I think there is a fair amount of reading to demonstrate various writing styles. But, is that adequate? Do I need to add literature for the year? I don't know how busy the class will keep him.

Is that Patrick Henry College Prep Academy? I don't know anything other than what I can see on the Web site, but since an AP Literature and Composition course is also offered, it sounds as if you'd need to add lit; either that or have your ds take the AP lit class the following semester.

When my dd took AP Lang and Comp (through PA Homeschoolers), we were doing TOG, so she did the lit part of that, but very pared down - did the reading and oral discussions with about one paper and test/semester. However, writing and lit were her areas of strength, so she doubled up LA credits most years of high school. If you only want one credit of English for the year, the AP class will provide more than enough work in writing and reading. My dd usually spent between 6-8 hours/week. Maybe you could incorporate some lit with your history studies if there are some books you/he would like to read, but not have another additional course.

When my dd took AP Lang and Comp (through PA Homeschoolers), we were doing TOG, so she did the lit part of that, but very pared down - did the reading and oral discussions with about one paper and test/semester. However, writing and lit were her areas of strength, so she doubled up LA credits most years of high school. If you only want one credit of English for the year, the AP class will provide more than enough work in writing and reading. My dd usually spent between 6-8 hours/week. Maybe you could incorporate some lit with your history studies if there are some books you/he would like to read, but not have another additional course.

Thank you - that's exactly what I had in mind. Reading some literature along with the rest of the family's study of middle ages through the reformation.

He's hoping to do the AP lit class the following year, but we'll have to see how this one goes, first!

Is PA Homeschooler an online class?

Is that Patrick Henry College Prep Academy? I don't know anything other than what I can see on the Web site.

I was skeptical. We had a terrible experience with an expensive, online writing class - ds had ONE paper graded by the teacher in an entire semester. We dropped it and lost the entire tuition. Anyway, I kept asking PHC questions about this course until I got the entire syllabus, a list of which assignments are graded by whom, as well as a list of literature readings. I think it will be worthwhile.