Menu

Need advice on Afterschooling 2nd grader

Guest HollyBk

Guest HollyBk

Hi,

I'm new to afterschooling. DD is going to be in 2nd grade in the fall (public school). I've ordered Singapore Math and we are reading from a book list this summer. What else do you guys recommend? I think we need to work more in comprehension and sentence structure... things like that. What would be a good workbook to use?? Any good websites?? HELP!! I feel totally lost at this! In the past we've just done Kumon workbooks, but I think we need more now. I would appreciate any advice you guys can offer!

Hi-- we are also going to start afterschooling in Sept with a 2nd grader and Ker, after having done 1 year at home. I plan to spend no more than 15-30 minutes on actual teaching at a time. We'll do Bible, Theology, read SOTW 2 (probably a chapter a week, without any supplemental activities except mapwork), have classic children's literature available for read alouds or independent reading, have historical books related to SOTW 2 available for same, and maybe do a little FLL2 (with no writing), and a little Greek and Spanish. My dream is to start Latin (I got Prima Latina) but we'll see. Also interesting field trips, and perhaps Piano & dance. Wow that is starting to sound like a lot. I read a post about sending a Singapore math workbook to school in the child's backpack, to use in case they finish their work early. I like that idea. Partly this will all depend on what they are learning in school and how that goes-- I don't want to repeat anything they are doing, or tire them out! Good luck!

For language, we loved First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease. They're very gentle and may seem slow to you (there's no composition in 2nd grade), but both will teach skills your dd may not get focused instruction on in ps. Mine didn't.