Menu

Lets Go Learn

Embassy

We used it for a short time. The way it works in a learning mode is that the child chooses an answer and if the answer the child chooses is wrong the program explains that the answer is wrong and the child can choose a different answer. My dd at age 5 and 6 quickly figured out how to 'beat' the program by just continuing to click on different answers until she clicked on the correct answer. Consequently the program would advance her to a higher and higher level........and I would have to reset it down to something more realistic.

As for the assessment or test mode, I don't really remember if it was useful or not.

I have had my children use the assessment and I don't remember it letting the child choose again if they missed.

When my children would take it, the little monkey guy, doesn't even tell the child if they got the answer correct or incorrect.

For instance when they are spelling a word and misspell it, they are not told if they spelled it right or wrong.

From what I understand, there is no way to reset the program. Maybe with the Unique Reader Program you can do all that but not with the assessment.

I did have the children signed up for the Unique Reader Program years ago, but I don't remember much about it.

As for the assessment, it doesn't give a specific grade level. A child can be low with Phonics but be high in comprehension. I'll have to log in an see the terms and such, and get back to you.

We've done the reading one a couple of times. It's kind of a snapshot of how the child is doing at the time the test is taken. It gives grade equivalencies in several aspects of reading like phonics, spelling, word recognition, comprehension...I forget exactly what else. It also suggests specific kinds of activities for each area that will help the child improve. I found it quite helpful. Also, the last time my sister-in-law, the teacher, visited I tried explaining how much dd's reading has improved since we took her out of school and she did the polite smile and nod thing. Then I got out the before and after assessment summaries and her whole face lit up. Skeptics love a bar graph. We haven't done any other standardized testing with her, though, so I have no idea how it matches up with other assessments.