Menu

Help with grading essays

I have to provide grades and comments on the essays my ds14 did in his Lang. Arts program. I'm submitting this portfolio to our high school program for a high school credit, 9th grade English.

The truth is that I worked with him on all of his essays because he has difficulty with executive functioning (planning and organizing mostly). I helped him build the outlines, prompted him during the actual writing, and helped him edit. We didn't save the rough drafts because we made all revisions directly in the Word document. I'm happy with all of his final work. I have no idea what kind of comments to write on them. help?

FWIW, I've given him an 'A' in the course. He made 100% on all his exams (literature, vocabulary, and grammar). He followed directions and made an effort at maintaining a positive attitude.

As a side note, let me just say we're so happy that we're finished this course!!! It was Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings and it lasted way too long. We also used BJU Grammar/Writing and Write Shop I/II. Yay for the end of 9th grade LA!

Can you write something about the process? For instance, "Sentence structure was a bit choppy, but was reworked satisfactorily"? Keystone has a rubric for essays somewhere on the site.

Congrats on being done. I so wish ds was!

Edited by Mejane

Can you write something about the process? For instance, "Sentence structure was a bit choppy, but was reworked satisfactorily"? Keystone has a rubric for essays somewhere on the site.

Congrats on being done. I so wish ds was!

I checked my dd13's English 1 course and cannot find an essay rubric, but I found one online. Thanks for the idea about process comments. That might work. :)

I want this course to be taken as his 9th grade English 1 course. I'll be registering him for English 2 soon. I don't ever want to do a homeschool course that I have to turn in to them again. This has been kind of stressful! :tongue_smilie: