Menu

DC have trouble reading large numbers and we use MUS...

Dianne-TX

I jumped around trying to find a curriculum, so maybe place value didn't get taught very well. We are almost finished with Beta and Alpha. Will MUS re-teach place value throughout or do I need to get something to supplement to help them with place value and reading numbers?

They add on larger numbers (thousands, millions, etc.), but it is assumed that the children will understand how to read these as they are introduced. The concept really isn't retaught. I would work on it separately.

Any suggestions? Games? Workbooks for reinforcement?

MUS will not teach place value again in the other levels. It is only really done in the primer and alpha but learning it will be necessary for the rest of the program as it builds on this topic. I would go back again, watch the dvd lesson with your dc, do the problems without any worksheet and just the big number street poster and the blocks. We used a piece of paper to write the number on after we would build it with blocks. Then we would write a number and then build it, back and forth until we got it. I would also go over the tens place value. 1 tee, 2 tee, 3 tee, etc.. IMHO the way MUS teaches place value it genius. Spend as much time as your dc need and believe they will get it.

hth!

Edited by MyLittleBears

I would go back again, watch the dvd lesson with your dc, do the problems without any worksheet and just the big number street poster and the blocks. We used a piece of paper to write the number on after we would build it with blocks. Then we would write a number and then build it, back and forth until we got it. I would also go over the tens place value. 1 tee, 2 tee, 3 tee, etc.. IMHO the way MUS teaches place value it genius. Spend as much time as your dc need and believe they will get it.

hth!

:iagree: Depending on the ages of your children, the Decimal Street paper and the manipulatives should work great. If you lost your "Decimal Street," you could always make your own. (Check out this post at the Math-U-See blog for an example.) There are several suggestions for "mixing it up" a little in the teacher guide for Primer, and presumably for Alpha, as well. (I knocked the Alpha teacher guide behind a tall bookshelf shortly after purchasing it, so I can't actually check the truth of this assertion.) My son loved the "windstorm" that would come through and displace all the residents of Decimal Street, along with being the "census taker" who would go along and knock on all the doors and ask for number of residents. There were suggestions on using flashcards and such in the book as well, I remember, but I was always too lazy to do them. (Hey, I'm too lazy to fish out my Alpha book from behind the bookcase after over a year, what do you expect?)

My son loved the "windstorm" that would come through and displace all the residents of Decimal Street, along with being the "census taker" who would go along and knock on all the doors and ask for number of residents.

I've got a funny story about this one. Just as we were watching this lesson and Mr. Demme said there was a storm, we heard a giant crack of thunder and actually got a real thunderstorm. It was hysterical and we still remember it and crack up! How's that for hands on moment!