Menu

CLE - Art and Bible

jenL

I'm thinking of using CLE's Bible course for ds. Do I need the teacher's manual?

Also, if you've used their Art Pacs, what are your thoughts? Are they interesting? Ds really enjoys art, a subject in which I have NO talent, but I'd love to develop his skills with little help from me, so I thought this may be a good independent approach?

Both will be for 3rd grade. Thanks!

We used the first couple of projects from the ArtPacs and I was unimpressed. The second grade book is mostly coloring, cutting and pasting with very specific instructions, which didn't leave any room for creative expression. Ariel does them very occasionally when she feels like it, but I don't consider it an art curriculum.

If you really want independent, Atelier is taught via DVD. All you do is gather the supplies. If he likes drawing, Mark Kistler has drawing lessons on his website you could sign your son up for.

I've used the Bible for 6th grade. I wasn't impressed. Of course, it was not the Sunrise edition. But it was a lot of T/F, multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank.

May I make a suggestion? Try Bible Study Guide for All Ages. We are using that this coming year, and I'm very excited about it. Much more lively discussion and interaction, if you want that. If not, and you want something more traditional an academic, then CLE might be a good fit for you.

Also, I have used the ArtPacs, and I agree with previous post. They are fine to fill in some time here and there, but not for a true art course. I had the first grade one for my daughter, and they are just cut and paste, but she enjoys that, so it was good for her.

Hope that helps!

I love the CLE Bible program for early grades (Bible 1-4 and the Bible elective for 5th grade). The stories are nicely told, and besides questions and activities that help them remember the facts of the story, there is also at least one application question/thought in each lesson.

Right now one of my dd's is finishing up CLE Bible 3. I chose not to order the teacher's manual. I haven't regretted not having the manual at all. Everything in the LightUnits has been clear without needing the teacher's manual. I haven't had any problems needing an answer key for assignments or tests, either.

If you are considering Bible 2, I believe it is similar to Bible 1. I have 3 children using CLE Bible 1. There has only been one time I needed to check the teacher's manual about how to do an activity sheet. Also, for Bible 1 the teacher's manual has a more detailed story than what is written in the LightUnits.

We haven't used the ArtPacs. I glanced through them at a convention and thought they were too basic, covering skills that most children that age would already know and not teaching much in the way of new skills or techniques.

Blessings,

Laura

Ok, I will be the lone voice of dissent here...I really like the Artpacs, and if used all the way through each year they progressively teach art skills. The first grade one starts off with cutting and pasting, but by no means is it all that it teaches - it also teaches coloring vividly or lightly, coloring evenly, simple drawings, mosaics, and drawing facial expressions. By third grade the lessons include drawing, shading, watercolor painting, and drawing facial features proportionately and in the correct area of the face.

I can't compare Artpacs to any of the more expensive programs since I haven't used them, but I am very happy with the results and my kids have enjoyed using them. They aren't fancy, but they can be somewhat independently used (I usually have to go over the instructions with my kids) and the price can't be beat! :lol: