Menu

Gift suggestions for friend's dd who is going to boot camp

I am invited to attend the high school graduation of a friend's daughter. She is leaving for Navy boot camp sometime this summer. I want to give her a gift and would like to give her something that might be useful during boot camp or for after boot camp. You would think that since I left for Navy boot camp just after high school graduation that I would have some ideas, but that was 25 long years ago. :tongue_smilie: I have thought about nice stationary, stamps and a nice pen, but could really use some better suggestions.

TIA!

A gift card to the NEX? That's what I could've used in A School. Desperately. ;) I wouldn't send anything that could be used during Basic. When I went (OK, a long time ago, we won't get into how long...) we weren't allowed to take anything, anyway. When I got out and was heading to A School and beyond, I needed luggage I didn't have, but I got it at the NEX. You could definitely send a nice stationary set when she gets to school.

Ditto on suggesting nothing for while in basic, but for after. For me the best gift was some of my own stuff ready and waiting when I got to A school--it happened to be near where my aunt lived and my mom shipped it to her so I had my music, my afghan, and some civvies waiting for me.

Don't know that stationary will be much use in A school...but a phone card (either to use at a pay phone or to go with her cell phone, whatever brand she's using) would be good to encourage keeping in touch.