Menu

Lively Latin 3rd grade: Take one or two years to complete?

I just got Lively Latin...It's beautiful, and I think ds will have a great time with it in the fall.

He completed Song School Latin in 1st grade and Getting Started with Latin in 2nd grade. He also finished FLL3 as a 2nd grader.

Could you all help me figure out how to pace this up-coming 3rd grader? I know this is a do-the-next-page curriculum and can take up to two years to finish.

What is your experience with Lively Latin BB1 with a 3rd grader? How many pages/day? Would you advise taking one year or two to complete it?

Thanks!

One year is reasonable but we take two to complete it. I like going slow and steady until 5th grade. Then we move into First Form. I did this with my ds and he is now completely independent (well, mostly) with First Form as a 6th grader and I believe it's because we took our time with LL1. (That, and because FF is fabulous...I can not recommend it higher).

I think one year is reasonable for a third grader. We started in January, haven't gone particularly fast, and will be on lesson 8 this week. I expect to finish by the end of summer.

One year is reasonable but we take two to complete it. I like going slow and steady until 5th grade. Then we move into First Form. I did this with my ds and he is now completely independent (well, mostly) with First Form as a 6th grader and I believe it's because we took our time with LL1. (That, and because FF is fabulous...I can not recommend it higher).

Thanks, ladies! I am also glad you mentioned First Form. It's too early to tell what we'll do after LL1, but I've read several positive reviews about it.

Did you all use the history pages?

Anyone else?

We took 2 years. Latin falls into the category of things that get dropped when life gets busy. I didn't really have a firm latin timeline, so there was no urgency to finish it in one year. DD did the history pages until about the last 3 months of the second year. I wanted to finish out the program and the history was bogging us down. In the future, I will probably skip the history with my other kids.