Menu

In the market for a printer

I need a new printer. The one I have works fine but it drinks ink and I am just doing way too much printing for this. I have a great scanner so I don't need an all-in-one although it would be nice to have.

Mainly though, I want a printer that does double sided printing and something like the eprint or airprint that I'm seeing advertised. I want to be able to print in color and I don't mind a high upfront cost, I just don't want to have to constantly be buying new ink cartridges. I don't know if I should get laser or inkjet.

Anybody got something to recommend for me?

I have loved my Brother laser B&W 7820N (printer/fax/scanner/copier). I have had it for years - and it's only on 3rd cartridge ($70.00 per cartridge). When I bought it, the employee at Office Depot told me it was a reliable machine and goes through fewer cartridges than most (any?) others at the time of my purchase.

If you are a Costco shopper, the coupon mailer they recently sent out has it to order online. Can't remember the price, but under $200.00 for sure.

Anyway, whatever you purchase, take a look at cost of toner and number of copies you can get out of a cartridge. I believe the guy told me I'd get a good 700 copies out of one cartridge. I'm sure he was right. HTH.

If you want color, we like our kodak esp 6120 (i think those are the numbers). It has automatic duplexing and the ink is very inexpensive. We have had ours since December and have had no problems. Paid $150 but got a $50 gift card back!

I also like our basic Brother laser, B&W only, but also does automatic duplexing. Both are wifi and that is nice too. Paid $99.

Either way, definitely get the automatic duplexing!

We just bought a Brother Laser HL 2270D ($99) for homeschool printing, but it only does black and white. I bought several digital curricula this year (TOG, MM) and figured it would be more cost effective to print with a laser at home than to purchase hardcopies or send out to a print shop. Just a word of warning on the laser cartridges and the page counts they advertise: they compute number based on 5% page coverage or roughly 160 words per page. I wore out a 700 page laser cartridge in 2 days printing 540 pages from TOG, which has a whole lot more than 160 words per page. I think it will still be a bargain for us in the long run even though we'll only get about 80% of the advertised lifespan; the per page cost will be more like 4 cents per page than the 2-3 cents they market. I don't know much about color laser printers; we still have our inkjet/copier and will use it for color and copying purposes. The laser will be our main workhorse.

I have a Brother laser printer as well. Love it!! I use it for hsing and couponing, so happy with it. I do not think you can go wrong with any Brother laser printer plus the price is very reasonable not to mention the toner (or ink) that will last you a long time. My standard toner last me 1 1/2 years :0) You can check out the reviews on amazon to help you decide on which printer.

HTH

Julia