Menu

Any Catholic Heritage Curricula spelling users?

kandty

Has anyone used CHC My Catholic Speller Series? I have used it in the past with one dc, but I am considering going back to it with my younger dc. I would like to see results from other family that has used this program. Overall I am happy with CHC products, but I don't use it 100%.

Has anyone used CHC My Catholic Speller Series? I have used it in the past with one dc, but I am considering going back to it with my younger dc. I would like to see results from other family that has used this program. Overall I am happy with CHC products, but I don't use it 100%.

We used it for one year and dd got a perfect score in spelling on a standardized test the year that she used it, but that may say more about her than CHC's spelling. We only did the workbook pages and finished more than one that year.

Since dd seemed to be a natural speller, it was just cheaper and easier for me to stop by Barnes and Noble and pick up Flashkids Spelling in subsequent years. I liked the proof-reading and the varied pages in Flashkids Spelling that picked up some LA odds and ends.

I think both are probably fine for a natural speller but perhaps not enough for someone who needs more direct explanations or practice.

I only used it for one year. I had hoped to love it, but I thought the spelling lists were incredibly easy. Knowing that my oldest was a natural speller, I bought a book a grade level higher than he was in at the time. It still had very, very easy words in it and I got a lot of eye rolls, from a kids who almost never rolls his eyes, over that workbook. I also wasn't thrilled with the simplistic exercises that were involved. I don't mind a workbook for spelling, but I wasn't pleased with these, sadly. I liked the way Catholicism and apologetics was incorporated, but found that I had to do a lot to make the kids pay attention to that part or they would skip right over it.

We use it and mostly like it. I agree with those who said it's easy - I look at the sample pages online and ask dc to spell the words until they miss some, then get that book. My older had no trouble with any of the words through the 6th grade book, and I don't think any more were out yet when I tested her, so I figured most schools don't continue spelling as a subject past elementary and just let her quit.