Menu

Oak Meadow Book List Question

We're going to be using Oak Meadow 4 in the fall, but looking at the syllabus, I realize that my daughter has already read all the books for that year. Has anyone successfully substituted other books for the ones listed? How do you think substitutions would work with the syllabus? (I haven't gotten my syllabus yet, but I flipped through a friend's and it looks like there is work specific to the books.) Should I just have her reread the existing book list? (I don't think rereading is a bad thing.) In case my barrage of questions doesn't make it clear, I would love some input! It will be our first year using Oak Meadow, so there's a huge learning curve for me.

We are new also. I am going to use OM 3 in the fall and I have the same question. I think we are just going to reread the books. It's been about a year since most of them were on the Ambleside list. I think as a 3rd grader she will have a different relationship with the books from first grade.

Sorry, rambling and thinking outloud. Bumping for someone else who has used OM. :)

In the syllabus itself toward the end of each lesson, it will often suggest optional/supplemental book titles. You could probably go with those instead. Or if you have, know of or can find a different book that fits in with the current lesson, there is no reason you can't go with that instead. Mainly you just want it to be a living type book that pertains to your social studies material.

Thanks! (NanceXToo, I consider you my Oak Meadow expert -- I've stalked your blog pretty thoroughly!)

I didn't know the syllabus suggested supplemental titles, but I am sure happy to hear it! Right now, I'm leaning toward having her read the familiar book along with a new book with similar themes and then letting her choose which one she wants to use for different lessons. But I reserve the right to change my mind 10 times about that before autumn.

LOL well, I'm glad it was helpful! :) And of course you have the right to change your mind ten times. :D What *I* would probably do would be to give her the choice... "any interest in re-reading this one, or do you want to read one of these instead?"

And here we always read the assigned books together. (If we do any of the optional/supplemental ones she usually reads those on her own). Not that you have to but it's a nice way to spend time together and helps me better keep on top of what she got out of it/how she does with the writing assignments etc.

Nance, What grade did your daughter read the books on her own?

Beth, she hasn't yet. We've used Oak Meadow for 4th and 5th (we're in our last couple of weeks of 5th now) and we've been reading them together all along. We will most likely do it in 6th, too, then re-evaluate the following year.

She COULD read them on her own now- she's a good reader and likes to read- but we kind of enjoy reading them together, and like I said, it helps me help her with or to better evaluate her writing assignments and see what she's taking away from the books and so on.