Menu

chemistry for a 10, 11, and 13yo (4th, 6th, 8th)

(I'm reposting this from the main board because I didn't get any replies there)

How does this sound (combination of all of these):

1. elemental science - chemistry

2. Ellen Mchenry - elements

3. Thames and Kosmos chemistry kit thing (which one?)

4. exploring the world of chemistry by Tiner

My kids love science, but mainly stick with nature topics. We tried to do RS4K chemistry a few years ago with my oldest and neither of us cared for it and never finished. So I'm trying again and hoping to get everyone on board. We used elemental science (biology) for my youngest this year and we liked it.

Will this cover it? Overkill? Burn out?

Thanks for your feedback!

Some of the Thames and Kosmos kits do not get good reviews. I'd search the boards for that and read other reviews.

Did you look at ACS Middle School chemistry? It's free and I think it looks very good. I'm in the process of ordering everything needed for us to do that.

I was just looking at that ACS site this morning!

Free is good:D

I don't love the idea of having to print everything out and order all the supplies to go with it, though.

I'll check into the TK reviews, thanks!

The ACS material is well-done and easy to implement for the ages you listed. When I have a chance, I will link to the supply list that Corraleno put together unless Capt. Uhura finds it first.:D About the T & K kits, we have a large chemistry kit and their environmental house and consistently we have found the directions to be less than clear. In fact, my dd (18) helped her younger brother with the house and she wrote notes all over the directions with corrections and need for clarification that she planned on sending to the company. It's not that the directions are terrible, they are just ambiguous. We found with the chemistry kit that we could do the experiments reasonably well, but that we didn't always know why we were doing something. For chemistry with logic stage children, I would prefer to have fewer experiments and ones that have specific objectives, clear instructions, a reasonable guarantee of success, and a concise explanation afterwards of the concept explained in the experimentation process.

So, would you guys be suggesting that I just go with ACS only? Not bother with any of the others?

The elements course looks so fun! But I don't want to waste money or make more work for ourselves.

Also, I want to avoid totally boring. Like we found RS4K to be. (sorry).

Jen

There aren't that many things to order for ACS. I think there are 5 chemicals and three "gadgets." Equal mass cubes, density cubes, and a ball/stick thingy (you heat it to show that metals expand when heated just like gasses). On the thread for ACS, I posted things you need and catalogue numbers for a company which will ship to homeschoolers. All the chemicals you can get from Home Science Tools for about $5 each. Also, the ACS book tells you which ones can be obtained "over the counter." Some are in hardware stores etc. I found it easier just to buy them from HST. The three gadgets I am buying from Sargent-Welch.

if you have a strong science kid in 6th and 8th grade, ES won't be enough. My grammar stage kids did really well! Can't wait to see what Paige (the author) has put together in a couple of years for Logic Stage Elemental Science Chemistry.

DC and I loved Ellen McHenry's The Elements and I know she also has a curriculum called Carbon Chemistry that you can use to follow it up. If you prefer something like Elemental Science you may want to try taking a look at Logic Science. I'm not sure if the chemistry portion has been written yet. It's been awhile since I've looked at the blog. I'll try to track down a link to share.

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't planning on using elemental science for the older kids really. Like maybe have them do some of it but mainly focusing on the elements course. I don't know - I'm getting tired of planning and making decisions after 8 years. Never though that would happen:D

But I just want to get something nailed down and go with it. And enjoy it :001_smile:

DC and I loved Ellen McHenry's The Elements and I know she also has a curriculum called Carbon Chemistry that you can use to follow it up. If you prefer something like Elemental Science you may want to try taking a look at Logic Science. I'm not sure if the chemistry portion has been written yet. It's been awhile since I've looked at the blog. I'll try to track down a link to share.

Here's that link I promised you.

http://www.mysciencelogic.com/