Menu

our house offer was turned down

we had put a bid on a house, so did another family. We bid more than they did but we had a contingency and the other bidders did not. I guess I can understand why the owners took the non contingency offer (I would do the same thing). But now I wonder if we should wait until our house sells before we decide on another house or make any offers.

It did take the owners 4 days to make their decision of which offer to accept.

Unfortunately, as you noted, a non-contingency offer will almost always trump a contingency offer. Keep working on selling your house, but if you find another house you like, don't be afraid to make an offer. You never know what sellers will do. You don't lose anything by making an offer.

:grouphug:

ETA: Why did it take the sellers so long to make a decision? Did your offer not have a time limit in it?

Holly,

Ours was the standard contract used in our area which has no time limit for response. Actually someone here told me that NJ does not have required response time for sellers. That is a pain.

The reason they took so long to respond was because they were very tempted by our offer and were indecisive but in the end went with the non contingency offer.

Oh man, that stinks. A time limit on offers is a good thing, IMO. Waiting around for a response without a definite end point would make me crazy! :willy_nilly:

Before we bought the house we're in now, we had put an offer on another one. The sellers ended up being crazy, and thought that our offer was way too low. Long story short, while we were frustrated at the time, we now realize that that was not the house for us, and we ended up finding this one, which is a much nicer, larger house in a much better neighborhood. (Those crazy sellers, who turned down our offer, ended up selling six months later for $75k less than our offer.)

So my long, rambling point is that there's a better house out there for you! I wish you the best!

So my long, rambling point is that there's a better house out there for you! I wish you the best!

I'm sorry about the house, but :iagree:.

We're going through this crazy process right now. Our offer was accepted, but now we're doing inspections, etc. S-T-R-E-S-S-F-U-L! Can't wait for it to be over.