Menu

Question for British grammarians

mazakaal

We're up to comma rules in AG, which includes using commas to separate items in a series. I know that here in the UK a comma is not used before the 'and' and the last item in the series.

I like chocolate cake, cookies and ice cream. NOT I like chocolate cake, cookies, and ice cream.

But I'm wondering if that rule applies when the items in a series are phrases or clauses.

I like to take long walks, ride my bike to the beach and swim at the local pool. OR I like to take long walks, ride my bike to the beach, and swim at the local pool.

Phrases & clauses shouldn't make any difference, unless they include an 'and' which could make the sentence confusing, e.g. My favourite foods are eggs, salt and vinegar crisps, and chips. Read the sentence. If it makes sense without a comma it doesn't need a comma.

We're up to comma rules in AG, which includes using commas to separate items in a series. I know that here in the UK a comma is not used before the 'and' and the last item in the series.

I like chocolate cake, cookies and ice cream. NOT I like chocolate cake, cookies, and ice cream.

But I'm wondering if that rule applies when the items in a series are phrases or clauses.

I like to take long walks, ride my bike to the beach and swim at the local pool. OR I like to take long walks, ride my bike to the beach, and swim at the local pool.

It's funny, I instinctively put a comma in before the "and", but my mum (brilliant linguist) says you shouldn't put one in.

Megan - if you were back in North America, would it be right to have the comma there, before the "and"?