Menu

Has anyone used My Father's World for all of 9-12?

I'm leaning towards doing this next year for 9th but I worry about starting it and not following it all the way through. I love that's it's all planned out and their general highschool plan looks great, but is it a problem if later you want to go another route for some reason? For example, I want to use Notgrass and if we go with MFW, they stretch the world history over 2 years. If we didn't do MFW, we'd probably just use Notgrass World and finish it in 9th. I guess I just feel like if we start with MFW we are making somewhat of a 4 year commitment. Any thoughts?

Since MFW is just releasing the last year, the only people who have used all of it is the beta testers.

We've used Year 2 and Year 3. I don't think you're making a long-term commitment to begin and then change, for instance, my oldest ds did Sonlight 100 (freshman), then Trisms Ancients (sophmore), then MFW WHL(Junior), then ended up doing Notgrass Economics and Government this year. My oldest dd ended up doing Trisms Ancient (freshman), then MFW WHL (sophmore), then MFW Year 3 High School this year (sorry I always forget the name of it) but next year we are departing from MFW. She is going to finish the second half of the BJU American History Book next year but she wasn't interested in doing the Economics and Speech that MFW has scheduled for their fourth year cycle. So we are departing from that and doing Sonlight's British Literature and probably a semester geography course.

We've really enjoyed the MFW materials because they are so thorough and well-organized but I don't think you would be "locked-in" if you start it and decide it's not for you. In fact, I bought MFW AHL for my upcoming freshman but decided that it's just going to be too much for him this year so he's going to do Sonlight 100. We may use the AHL next year, then WHL, then do government/econ for his senior year. Anyway, I think there is much flexibility.

I'm leaning towards doing this next year for 9th but I worry about starting it and not following it all the way through. I love that's it's all planned out and their general highschool plan looks great, but is it a problem if later you want to go another route for some reason? For example, I want to use Notgrass and if we go with MFW, they stretch the world history over 2 years. If we didn't do MFW, we'd probably just use Notgrass World and finish it in 9th. I guess I just feel like if we start with MFW we are making somewhat of a 4 year commitment. Any thoughts?

MFW carries Notgrass World over two years because MFW spends an entire year on Old Testament history, and has the kids read the entire OT. That only takes you thru about 3/4 of the Notgrass volume 1. But it is a valuable year, and I think it's the biggest thing to decide on. The rest of the years would be pretty standard fare to sub here & there.

Julie

I'm probably too new to give an opinion with any weight but I'm an extensive researcher so here goes:tongue_smilie:. My original plan was to do MFW for 3 years and leave the Senior year for community college and other outside interests. I am starting a 9th grader with the MFW WHL b/c I just don't have the stomach for AHL (that sounds horrible but Iliad/Olyssey, we just can't do it). I don't know if that makes sense to anyone.

I went through the Notgrass units that are assigned in AHL and broke them up into a 11-12 week summer study that we have already started. This gives my DD a sort of intro into WHL without having gone through the entire MFW AHL study. We have also started the WHL bible study (reading through the new testament) just to give ourselves a head start and a buffer in case we get behind next year or make pit stops along the way, we won't be behind.

I don't like how MFW American History is spread over two years because I want to get in Government/Economics one year and at least a good 1/2 semester of Geography. I know MFW gives .5 credit geography over two years but I want the credit all together. So for the reasons listed above, I may have to depart from the MFW sequence. I'm thinking about Notgrass American history - nice and neat and in one year or Hewitt Homeschooling Resources or Beautiful Feet.

If your kid had to switch schools (traditional school) because you moved or went to private vs public school he/she wouldn't be following the same track as before and these kids adjust to the difference just fine. That piece doesn't concern me at all. You are studying the same history regardless just using different resources to do it and you can always add or take away using any of these methods.

My kids have been in Christian and public schools up until 2010 so I am very confident that it doesn't matter what I do (curriculum wise) it is still better than the education they would be getting somewhere else if for no other reason than they have less distractions and more support at home!

Just my 2 cents.

I'm probably too new to give an opinion with any weight but I'm an extensive researcher so here goes:tongue_smilie:. My original plan was to do MFW for 3 years and leave the Senior year for community college and other outside interests. I am starting a 9th grader with the MFW WHL b/c I just don't have the stomach for AHL (that sounds horrible but Iliad/Olyssey, we just can't do it). I don't know if that makes sense to anyone.

I went through the Notgrass units that are assigned in AHL and broke them up into a 11-12 week summer study that we have already started. This gives my DD a sort of intro into WHL without having gone through the entire MFW AHL study. We have also started the WHL bible study (reading through the new testament) just to give ourselves a head start and a buffer in case we get behind next year or make pit stops along the way, we won't be behind.

I so wish we had done this! The Iliad and The Odyssey were just NOT something that my dd could deal with. She also got bogged down with the OT. Then, being behind, and wanting to forage ahead in the history of everything else, well, it was a year of being pulled by guilt and by the need to get on with it already!

She ended up doing an Old Testament Survey which worked much better for her. She will read the New Testament this year and then for U.S. History, I figure she can come back to the OT. Maybe even for Government, read it with that, since there is a lot about laws, covenants, governments of old, etc. We'll have to see how it all works out. :)

My dd LOVED MFW AHL! I was going to start with WHL for this year, but decided to start at the beginning with AHL. I'm so glad I did! It was a great start for her high school and we are looking forward to the MFW WHL next year! If dd does NOT go to the music school she is kind of interested in, our plan is to do MFW all 4 years.

That said, I see no problem with doing a year or two of MFW, then switching to whatever program/curriculum you prefer. IMHO, MFW is a strong program, and will only add to whatever else you choose to do!

• 2 weeks later...
We've used Year 2 and Year 3. I don't think you're making a long-term commitment to begin and then change, for instance, my oldest ds did Sonlight 100 (freshman), then Trisms Ancients (sophmore), then MFW WHL(Junior), then ended up doing Notgrass Economics and Government this year. My oldest dd ended up doing Trisms Ancient (freshman), then MFW WHL (sophmore), then MFW Year 3 High School this year (sorry I always forget the name of it) but next year we are departing from MFW. ...

We've really enjoyed the MFW materials because they are so thorough and well-organized but I don't think you would be "locked-in" if you start it and decide it's not for you. In fact, I bought MFW AHL for my upcoming freshman but decided that it's just going to be too much for him this year so he's going to do Sonlight 100. We may use the AHL next year, then WHL, then do government/econ for his senior year. Anyway, I think there is much flexibility.

Janet - I was considering SL for my 9th grader (core H World Hist 2, then 3 or 4 more cores from 100-400 for 10-12th) - but now that I'm reading all the posts about MFW I'm waffling. One concern is writing instruction. I know SL offers writing assignments, but do they offer the same kind of writing instruction that MFW offers? (I know you haven't actually worked through AHL, but since you have the guide, and know about MFW yrs 2-3, as well as SL materials, I was hoping you could compare :)

Also, if my dd is an avid, above average reader, and loves Iliad, Odyssey, etc., does it sound like AHL is a better fit than SL? (perhaps an unfair question since there are so many factors, but just thought I'd ask....)

TIA! ~Lori :001_unsure: