Menu

I found out which curr. the kids' new school uses!

We are moving to a remote town so my husband can teach in a tiny K-12 school. They use levels instead of grades, and they just gave us a list of resources they used to teach the targets for each level.

Writing - IEW, Write Source

Science - GEMS, Delta science units

Social Studies - whatever the teacher creates

Math - Saxon and Right Start

Reading - Saxon phonics, plus some Lindamood-Bell products like LiPS (for speech therapy, actually) and Seeing Stars.

Spelling - based on Fry word list

Overall, I'm pleased! One weird thing though is that they use every level of Saxon ... 7/6, 8/7, Alg. 1/2, Consumer Math, Alg 1, Alg. 2, Geometry. Right there, there are 3 unnecessary classes for most kids. I won't have my kids use Saxon though, and it's no problem to sub my own math as long as they learn what's included in the targets.

I'm also going to keep doing Apples and Pears with my middle kid, and being heavily involved in the writing. I've wanted to try IEW but didn't find a copy of TWS&S to borrow, so I'm glad to use the school's. GEMS look awesome for science too :)

That sounds very interesting. If they used the curriculum that suited each child, that would be pretty amazing. I am impressed with the curricula as well.

Best wishes on your move!

(You know, it's funny, but our oldest dds look very similar.):tongue_smilie: