Menu

Hemp Protein Powder vs Whey Protein Powder - what does the

My husband and I switched to hemp this year. We buy the Organic Nutiva powder in 3lb bags on Amazon. If you are used to Designer Whey or other sweetened drinks from the health food stores, it doesn't taste anything like that. However, when mixed with a scoop of raw honey, a glass of milk, and a serving of Amazing Grass chocolate supergreens, I think it makes a great breakfast. Sometimes I'll throw it in the blender with a banana and ice, then it's even better. The color is not great though!

I've been told you only need to consume 1/2 the protein amount with hemp (15 grams hemp instead of 30 grams in a scoop of whey) because your body absorbs it so well. My husband lifts weights daily and I chase 6 kids around, we are busy and active and have both found this to be true. I would buy a little jar of it at whole foods and try it out, see what you think before making the switch. We have been very happy with it though! God Bless, Stacy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ksec

Stacy pretty much nailed it. Hemp protein powder looks gross and the taste is off-putting. I add it to oatmeal, milkshakes, pancakes, soups, pretty much anything with strong flavour. Raw whey powder doesn't taste that great either, but it is bearable when mixed with milk or water. I've tried mixing hemp powder with milk and water, YUCK. All in all I love hemp protein though, super healthy stuff. I would avoid any whey powder that has flavour such as vanilla.

Edited by ksec

It tastes ghastly

I make soothies with strawberries, bananas, raw honey et. If you add a lot of other yummy tasting things to it then it isnt so bad.

Ghastly is generous. I find that, in addition, it has an ironic chemical aftertaste.

You should be able to buy a couple packets at your local health food store. I am very glad I did.