Menu

Division worries

kandty

I just started DS 10 on division this week. We have put it off because he can't seem to memorize his multiplication facts. (still working on those) He is fighting me on it and says he doesn't understand, but yet is getting almost every problem correct with little or no help. Sometime I have to help him remember his mulitiplication facts. I don't know how to build his confidence because he is doing it. Any ideas so that he doesn't burn himself out for no reason?

Teacher Created Resources has a book called "How to Divide" grades 3 & 4 (that is part of the title) that might help. You can purchase it from their website and download it as a pdf to print from and use immediately.

IMO it is not necessary to have the multiplication tables memorized to go on to division. I couldn't remember the multiplication facts until I started using them, or discovering them repeatedly, through division problems.

When DS1 is doing a division problem that he doesn't know the fact for, I draw the number of "boxes" that he needs and he can "drop" one thing into each box, counting as he goes, until he has an equal number in each box; then he can count how many are in each box. This way he is arriving at the multiplication facts he had trouble remembering and practicing the concept of division at the same time.