Menu

sonlight reading list?

DDR

Can someone with experience explain this to me? I'm having trouble navigating their website, although I assume it's tired user error! Does this list the books they should read throughout the year along with comprehension questions? Is it fine as a stand-alone since I am happy with the curriculums we're already using? Quality of literature, etc?

Please enlighten this sleepy mama, oh wise hive.

fyi: son is finishing up first grade, reads very well with great comprehension.

Are you talking about the grade 2, 3, and 4-5 reader lists? Here's a link to the grade 3 readers.... http://www.sonlight.com/readers-3.html

These are meant to go with the early cores. Core 3 (D) and up the readers are linked to the history.

Either way - I think it is fine to go with the reader lists and other curricula. We've done that in the past. You have to buy the schedule - about $5, and it contains comprehension questions (not many, but enough to check if they read the material) and the schedule.

Hope this helps!

The Sonlight curriculum is broken down into several different components:

The Readers - for the student to read

Read Alouds - for the parent to read aloud to the student

History - history books that the student can read themselves, or the parent can read aloud.

The IG (Instructor's Guide) has it all scheduled out on which books are to be read together and when to read them. There are comprehension questions, vocabulary helps, etc. You can download a free IG sample to see what it looks like. I'm not sure if the LA is included for the level you're wanting. Some publication years they are separate.

The other separate thing you can get is the Sonlight Science schedule, which also has it's own set of books, student workbook pages, and IG.

Oh, and their website is funky tonight. Not sure what's going on with it, but maybe check back later to see if the site makes more sense.

Hope that helps!

I have used many of their readers along with other curriculum that we were using.

You could also request a catalog, which is very nicely laid out. Then I write in it which books we can just get from the library, or buy.

I'm not really sure what you are looking for :). What most people mean when they talk about SL is the core. It includes readers, read alouds, history books, discussion questions in the areas of geography/history/literature. The heart of the core that Sonlight sells is the Instructor's Guide (IG). It is what has the books all scheduled out for you :).

This is a very fun, engaging way for children who loves stories to learn with :)! It also builds great reading fluency if you follow their readers progression.