Menu

Georgia

There is a ton of local support for homeschooling. Lots of different groups offering classes, homeschool band, art classes, etc. The homeschool law is pretty easy, though it looks complicated: Declaration of Intent once a year, and "attendance reports" monthly. That's all you turn in. We're required to do standardized testing every three years + write an annual report, but those are not required to be shown to anyone.

What type of area are you looking for? Is it important to you to be close to Atlanta? Health food stores? Certain types of activities? I live in east Cobb and like the area. Kennesaw is a 10-15 minute drive, plus it'd be reverse commute. Several of my friends live in Kennesaw & Acworth and love those areas too. Woodstock is an easy drive up 75/575 from any of those.

Actually, I'm putting my house on the market any day now... LOL.

Thank you so much for replying!

I was a little nervous when I looked at the law on HSLDA.

It is pretty important for us to have a short commute for DH job and also to have a short commute to church if that is possible!

Being close to a health food store would be a dream. :001_smile

As well as all those activities- support you mentioned!

We have a large family- so a reasonably priced home that is in a good location and is large is important (we are moving to 8 children when our twins are born...)

I asked because I know when you live somewhere- you really get the feel for the "good parts of town" versus the not so good...

Thank you again so very much!

Rebecca

I would look in the north Cobb area, both the eastern & western sides. We have a Whole Foods (opening a second one), some independent health food stores, and a Trader Joe's all more on the eastern side. Depending on how many bedrooms you want, there are some 4 & 5 bedroom houses for under $200,000 and some even cheaper up in Acworth right now. (Can you tell we're house hunting? LOL) The best advice I can give is to try to be relatively close to 75 or 575--it's the time getting to and from the highway that can really add to travel/commute time.

We very recently moved from West Cobb, over in Marietta off of Barrett Parkway, and absolutely loved it. It was peaceful and quiet, yet very close to any sort of shopping, restaurants, highways (75/575), etc. Harry's Farmer's Market (which I think some of the PP were talking about) is over in East Cobb, but it took us MAYBE 15 minutes tops to get there.

How exciting for you! Have fun house hunting!