Menu

MFW High School or Omnibus.. help!

I am having a HARD time deciding what to do next fall with my dd. I will either have her do MFW AHL or Omnibus. If she does Omnibus, she will do it with a University Model School... so she will have the benefit of discussion and some social as well:)

I have had the opportunity to borrow MFW AHL from a friend and look at it and it looks sooooo good and very doable. Also, after I bought it, it would be "free" to use at home..

Omnibus looks extremely heavy, but I would have a teacher teaching her and the class would be about $126 a month because I have to enroll her in the Omnibus/history class as well as an English class that they use to discuss the literature and writing/grammar. So, there is a cost involved, which we have budgeted.

I guess I am wondering what program is actually better. It appears that the MFW would be a bit more "enjoyable" and not so heavy.. but all my dd is thinking about is the social aspect of going to this school! LOL She is also very active in the homeschool community taking drama and basketball, so it isn't like she does not have social opportunities! :lol:

HELP!

Wow! Tough choice! I honestly have no helpful advice for you. Both programs are excellent choices. I've used a bit of Omnibus this year and yes, it is very heavy and it's A LOT of reading. A LOT. Especially if doing the Primary and Secondary books...which I assume a school would do. MFW would be the lighter, more independent, of the two. But, having a teacher teach Omnibus, and doing it in a class with other children would probably be fantastic. Especially if said teacher adds in some other history to round it out. I found Omnibus as written to not be enough actual history.

I think it really depends on your dd. Is she a good reader?? Will she be happy reading some pretty tough books for a couple of hours every day? Omnibus, as scheduled, takes a good 3 or more hours a day. Also, how is your dd at writing? Does she like to write? Omnibus is pretty advanced with it's writing.

Ugh. Hard decision. :tongue_smilie:

like Melissa said,

ugh, tough decision.

I'm bias because I use and like MFW. My social oldest daughter gets social stuff from non academic stuff and then talks my ear off on academics. There are times she wishes she knew others using the same stuff, but then she realizes that they'd still sit around after school and not talk about school. :lol:

-crystal

Thanks guys.. Honestly, I think I am leaning toward MFW... I just LOVE it.. But my dd really wants to go to this school part time. grrr:glare:

crystal.. you know, you are one of the reasons that I looked in to MFW! I always appreciate your very thorough replies about MFW!!!

Just joining in on the bandwagon -- you have a hard decision.

Some thoughts I'll throw in:

- Do you know the instructor(s) so you are sure they will be teaching from a perspective that you want your impressionable young person to have pounded into them for a year :) I've heard of classical acadamies near me that have some, well, interesting instructor perspectives come to the surface.

- Does she realize what the word "homework" means? It often means that she will have far less time to socialize :001_huh: I know a local gal who was so excited to start public school this year and finally in tears backed out last month, after her mom asked her if she wanted her childhood back (9th grader, but not a grown up yet).

Julie