Menu

Algebra Aptitude Test?

Has anyone used this Iowa Algebra Aptitude Test? I'm thinking about having ds11 take it to make sure he's actually ready for Algebra in the fall since he's on the young side. Is there anything else that's similar that I could give him?

In case it matters, we've used Saxon from the beginning and he's in 8/7 now. He is meeting the 80% criteria to move on, but I want to make sure he's really ready to move on. He can't wait to start Algebra, because "doing math with letters is the most fun [he's] ever had" (dh works math with the boys for fun on Saturdays a couple of times a month).

Has anyone used this Iowa Algebra Aptitude Test? I'm thinking about having ds11 take it to make sure he's actually ready for Algebra in the fall since he's on the young side. Is there anything else that's similar that I could give him?

In case it matters, we've used Saxon from the beginning and he's in 8/7 now. He is meeting the 80% criteria to move on, but I want to make sure he's really ready to move on. He can't wait to start Algebra, because "doing math with letters is the most fun [he's] ever had" (dh works math with the boys for fun on Saturdays a couple of times a month).

I posted about it a few years ago (!) -- I've linked the tag to this post so you can find it. I did like it, but I would generally prefer a curriculum-specific placement test when one is available. And, too, day-to-day performance with a curriculum trumps placement tests every time, in my not-so-humble opinion. :) So if he's doing well and enjoying it, I'd go ahead.

I am not familiar with the test you mentioned, but have used this to help me determine whether ds was ready a year ago. Towards the end of the article, there is a link that takes you to the actual exam.

Edited by HSDCY

Ha, JudoMom, I was just coming to pose the same question! I gave dd11 the test today. I was surprised to see that she scored into the "algebra-ready" zone. She did Singapore through half of 5A, then switched to Saxon 76 when I put her into the cottage school for spring semester. She's getting a B+ so far in the class, with almost no help from me.

My dd did the best on parts 3 and 4, Representing Relationships, and Using Symbols. She practically aced them. The other two parts, Pre-Algebraic Number Skills and Concepts, and Interpreting Mathematical Information, were her weakest. That gives me something to go on for summer, but it doesn't solve my dilemma for which class I should sign her up for this fall. I'd been debating 87 vs. Alg 1/2, but now I guess I should add Alg. 1 to the list? The other thread's consensus is that you shouldn't rush into algebra. I admit that I'd love to get some college-prep out of the way as soon as possible, and I would really love to bypass the 87 vs. 1/2 question entirely, LOL. But I need to choose what's best for my dd. Guess I'll watch this thread and have her take that other placement test...