Menu

Has anyone used La Clase Divertida for Spanish?

garddwr

I'm considering Spanish curricula--does anyone have experience with La Clase Divertida to share? I'm particularly wondering if the crafts/cooking activities/ etc. were helpful or stressful--do they add a lot to the language learning experience? I'm looking for something my husband could do with the kids, so fun/structured/but not too complicated would be good.

Thanks in advance for any input!

My kids thoroughly enjoyed doing LCD when they were small, and I *loved* that pretty much everything you needed (except some household items or ingredients for the cooking projects) was included in the box. If there's something you just *can't* handle doing, you can skip it. I think we did everything but fried ice cream and for that one we just watched the video and later ordered it in a restaurant...

Anyway, the production values aren't high. But it's lots of fun, the kids learn some basics, all of the elements you need are right there in the box... My kids still talk about some of the projects they did (4-5 years ago, I think) and speak fondly of Señor Gamache. :)

Hm, sounds like it might work. The reference to fried ice-cream was one of the things that had me hesitating--that is definitely not the kind of thing my husband could do with the kids, and doesn't exactly sound like something I would want to tackle either! I'm wondering how much Spanish is used in the video--is it mostly Spanish (immersion style) or mostly English?

It's not immersion. Personally, I think that only works if a child can actually be *immersed* in the language. I think it's not terribly effective coming from a video.

The crafts are mostly quite easy and the materials are included. Even the cooking activities are all super simple. But you can skip any (just watch the video) you think won't work for your family.