Menu

Talk to me about the Woodcock Johnson Test?

We did it last week instead of the CAT this year. Our state requires yearly testing. We did the Woodcock Johnson Achievement.

I would say I learned a lot more about my child...but nothing was necessarily are a complete shock, kwim? He did better in math than I thought he would. Reading was validated-that kind of thing. The only other test I have done is the CAT and, for us, it felt pretty useless; just a hoop to jump through for the state. I am glad we did it; I will not be doing it next year, but I might do it again in a few years. Then though I will have to do some fast talking b/c my ds was not pleased :lol:

I did not get an IQ. I am not sure about dyslexia.....ds was not dx with that. There are a couple Woodcock Johnsons I think and like I said we did the Achievement one so the others might. WE did get a stanine, percentile, grade level, and something else, i think.

HTH!

My dd had a W-J done when she was 5yo as part of an assessment that included IQ testing (WPPSI).

I don't feel like I got much useful information from the W-J. I mean...I got levels for where she was functioning at the time but the test only tests a sample of items in each level so though a 5yo may test as a 3rd grader in math, they haven't tested everything a 2nd or 3rd grader needs to know about math if you kwim. So it isn't like you could take the results from the test and know you need to place your child in such and such level.

I don't know many standardized tests that really tell you much about what a child is really capable of.