Menu

Yucky observation and request for flooring advice

Observation: Runt candy is not friendly on a dog's digestive system. Our dachshund found a box of Runt candy and consumed half of it while we were out to dinner. He proceeded to leave us colorful puddles all over the floor.

I am SO over our flooring on the lower level. It is a large open floor plan and still has the multiple floor surfaces that were here when we bought the house: part carpet, part vinyl flooring, part parquet, part tiny tile, and part some kind of glue down wooden tiles with impossible to clean cracks between them.

I'd like one cohesive flooring throughout the lower level (kitchen and dining area, living room, computer area, and den area with a fireplace). I THINK I'd like large tiles with dark grout but DH thinks it would be too hard and cold. I've wondered about radiant heating under the tiles but DH thinks that would be problematic and expensive. We have cats, dogs, and kids so I want something durable and easy to clean. DH wants wooden flooring but it is so easily damaged and we do sometimes get water seepage into the house during heavy rains (the house is built on a concrete slab).

Any ideas? Any new flooring materials that look great and can clean up with a damp mop/cloth?

Many thanks. After this last clean-up effort, I'm ready to yank up the flooring and live with a concrete slab!

Pegasus

I like big tiles mixed with little tiles instead of just one big tile across the floor. I know the trend is for wood or woodlike floors, but with 2 dogs, the floors just didn't hold up. They would get scratched and have gouges from our older dog trying to get his footing. Then we would have to sand everything down and refinish again. I am so happy with my pattern ceramic tile floor. It looks like the fancy stone tiles, but cost just a fraction. Just remember to seal the grout and clean up is a breeze. The tiles can be cold in the winter, but we don't mind.

What works for us (family of four plus a Border Collie and poodle) was a combo effect. Our kitchen/breakfast area merge with our dining room, music room, family room, and the halls to the bedroom areas. We went with porcelain tile (random pattern mixing 12x12, 12x6 and 6x6 tiles) with dark grey grout for the kitchen/breakfast/laundry/bathroom area and they butt against the remaining parts of the house described above which sport Brazilian Cherry hardwoods, one of the hardest available. We chose the wood specifically for the dogs and normal wear and tear on hardwoods. Our hardwoods were ordered from Bellawood and carry a 50 year warranty on the finish. Certainly, there will be some natural wear and tear but after 8 months of living, they are truly no worse for wear at all. They look beautiful!

If you opt to keep everything contiguous, I think I would go with tile and use large area rugs in your family rooms with large floor pillows for more warmth and comfort.

HTH,

Sharon

Observation: Runt candy is not friendly on a dog's digestive system. Our dachshund found a box of Runt candy and consumed half of it while we were out to dinner. He proceeded to leave us colorful puddles all over the floor.

I am SO over our flooring on the lower level. It is a large open floor plan and still has the multiple floor surfaces that were here when we bought the house: part carpet, part vinyl flooring, part parquet, part tiny tile, and part some kind of glue down wooden tiles with impossible to clean cracks between them.

I'd like one cohesive flooring throughout the lower level (kitchen and dining area, living room, computer area, and den area with a fireplace). I THINK I'd like large tiles with dark grout but DH thinks it would be too hard and cold. I've wondered about radiant heating under the tiles but DH thinks that would be problematic and expensive. We have cats, dogs, and kids so I want something durable and easy to clean. DH wants wooden flooring but it is so easily damaged and we do sometimes get water seepage into the house during heavy rains (the house is built on a concrete slab).

Any ideas? Any new flooring materials that look great and can clean up with a damp mop/cloth?

Many thanks. After this last clean-up effort, I'm ready to yank up the flooring and live with a concrete slab!

Pegasus