Menu

Analytical Grammar with a 5th grader--how to schedule

Analytical Grammar just came in the mail! Yippee!!

We're in the middle of FLL4 right now and I intend to finish it before we start AG. When we do, though, I'm wondering how to schedule it? I would rather have her do some every day than use their plan (11 weeks then review once a fortnight).

Would finishing the entire book in a year be too intense for a highly capable 5th grader? If so, could we do half a lesson each day?

Also, what have you all done after AG? I know, I know....

We used it in 4th and 5th grade. He completed 2 seasons in 4th and the last one in 5th. He did one lesson/day which meant one section per week. It all went well.

I don't think you would want to do half a lesson in a day. One *might want to take a day to talk about some of the more challenging concepts rather than flying through doing 4 lessons then the "test" then moving on. We did this a couple of times. Other concepts he just completed 3 lessons then tested on.

We loved AG!

My son, 6th grade, struggles with writing, not the understanding of the material, and I have let him do half a lesson a day. Right now he is in the review part, and being the end of the year, he is getting burned out. So he choose to do a sentence a day instead of a review a week. It is working for him, so we will continue. I am planning to spread the book over 3 years though.

• 1 month later...
Would finishing the entire book in a year be too intense for a highly capable 5th grader? If so, could we do half a lesson each day?

Also, what have you all done after AG? I know, I know....

Just bumping this slightly older post to see whether anyone else has opinions on this scheduling question, for a very capable fifth grader who has had a good deal of grammar already.

(If I do buy AG, I think I'd use their reinforcement books in following years.)

ETA: this will sound silly, but looking at the schedule choices (1 vs 2 vs 3 yrs), when I think, generally, about doing something in multiple years that I could get done in one year, I feel like a slacker :tongue_smilie: (maybe because I am, generally ;)). Can anyone comment on retention on a 1 yr plan vs 2 yr plan? It sure would be nice to have that extra time in the schedule for other stuff, but it would definitely impact how I set up the schedule for the year for other subjects.

Edited by wapiti