Menu

Respond here with stories of what you've done after RightStart E.

We'll finish level E in the middle of this coming year, his fifth grade year. I'm wondering if anyone out there can guide me wrt: RS Geometry or any other currriculum that worked well for your logic stage child, who is the kind of child that really benefitted from RS. Or tell me your horror stories-it's all good. TIA!

Edited by Catherine
Misspelling

My son finished RS E last year. He went right into RS Geo approach and it has worked well for him. He needed more work w/ fractions, factoring, division w/ decimals however. Many go into SM level 5 or MM level 5 after RS E to pick up those topics. The geometry will all be review but review is good some times. The first 1/3 of RS Geo is in SM level 6. Another option *might* be AoPS new pre-algebra course coming out in the Fall. The big question is how much will it overlap w/ SM/MM level6. MM is a good fit I think after RS b/c it has a bit of that discovery flavor of RS. It presents things and then asks DC if he noticed the pattern ie standard algorithm. If not, it goes on to spell it out.

DS10 (4th grade) finished RS E before Christmas. I decided he needed more practice with fractions, decimals, and percents, so I gave him the Key to... series for those (step by step, lots of practice, independent) plus Life of Fred Fractions/Decimals (he wanted to do it them for the stories but they would not have been enough practice for him). He's just about done with the Key to--- books and he's just started RS Geometry.

Not sure where to go after that. He's done okay in math with encouragement but I don't think it is intuitive, so I can't see starting Algebra any earlier than 7th. I just had him take the Saxon placement tests and he tested into 7/6 - he actually only missed one more than "passing." So I may have him do parts of 7/6 along with the Geometry, then 8/7.

This "gap" at the Logic stage puzzles me!