Menu

Lively Latin folks-- are any of you adding any written drill work?

Nothing except for the flashcards. This is meant to be a gentle, fun program, and I think drilling would take out the joy. LL moves slowly, so there's actually more repetition relative to the progression of concepts than you might think.

Susan in SoCal -

(Sorry to hijack the thread!) I noticed your older son is doing Latin Prep 3, what are you planning to do next? Do you feel the need to move on to SYRWTL Latin 3? How do you feel about the Latin Prep program at this point? We will be moving into Latin Prep 2 this year and I still don't really have a plan. I was thinking of adding Cambridge Latin later this year for more reading practice. Any information is appreciated!

Melissa-

Yes, we'll be going on to SYRWTLL 3 next year (as well as finishing the last 3 chapters of LP3). After that, I'm not totally sure what we'll do. We'll either dive into the LIngua Latina series or perhaps Henle 2. The decision will most likely be dictated by what the different online classes offer (cause I'm pretty sure *I* don't want to be the one steering the ship at that point!).

Re: our experience with LPrep ... it's been an enjoyable year. My son rarely whines about these texts. And he *gets* what he's doing. LPrep is a marvelous mix of grammar, reading, and translating. It does use a fairly limited vocabulary base (I think there's about 400ish words spread over LP1-3). LP3 at times has been frustrating (for me, not so much for my son) in a couple of its explanations and I've had to refer to other texts to get a clearer understanding. Tho, in all fairness, I had similar times in Henle and Latin Book One when I had to refer to other texts' explanations. Perhaps that's just "par for the course" for me - getting into deeper grammar equals more work necessary. Re: the answer keys for LP2 and LP3 ... I will say that a Mom/teacher who's NOT learning alongside the student will have a difficult time using the answer key to correct the translations; because by LP2 there are multiple [equally correct] ways of constructing a translation.

Ok, I think that's about it. It's been a good year. I've been well pleased with LPrep.