Menu

Abeka or BJU or something else

Ds, 10th grade this fall, wants textbooks for his school work (well, he WANTS to go to ps, but I don't think that's going to happen), so which would you recommend if you were going to use textbooks? I don't mind mixing and matching publishers for different subjects, so please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

Dd has a friend that really likes Lifepaks. We have another friend, a college teacher, he chose SOS to use for all subjects for his high school ds. A friend of mine had to go to work, and she picked SOS. You could use these for some or all subjects. (SOS is the by the same company, but for the computer (PC only)). I have looked at the history and literature Lifepaks, I didn't mind them, they were straight forward, condensed, not daunting.

I know of a few families that have done BJU exclusively. It is quite rigorous. I wouldn't suggest you doing all subjects w/BJU. We love their math, though. It is about middle of the road difficulty wise. We also like their Writing/Grammar, but it is rigorous.

I also know a few that have done A Beka, it is on the rigorous side as well. Both BJU and A Beka for every subject using dvds is a very full day. I know of two families that used A Beka whole grade and it didn't go well. Ds did BJU whole grade for 12th grade, and he choked on all of it. He is a good student. We ended up using the dvds for 2-3 subjects, a few more subjects textbook only, and changed a few to another publisher.

I really like Apologia for science. I use Virtual Homeschool Group for help (virtualhomeschoolgroup.com).

I've heard good things about BJU. Especially for science. My son likes the style of Apologia science and Teaching Textbooks for math. They teach directly to the student. I couldn't really recommend a text for literature and history since we love the literature approach.