Menu

Moving a painting that's on a wall...any ideas?

A few years back I painted a picture on my dinning room wall.

IMG_0395_1.jpg

It was not the smartest thing I've ever done, since now My husband and I would like to move!!! :banghead:

(I love the house we live in, but it's getting to small!)

The painting is painted with Acrylic paint and is about 4 ft X4 ft big.

If possible we would like to try to remove the painting, so we can take it will us when we move.

The wall is made from the old horse-hair plaster. It's not going to be easy to take the wall plaster out in one piece, like you could with dry wall/ sheet rock.

My husband can fix the hole it would leave, but it's just the removal we would love a little help/ideas.

Otherwise, does anyone know a good place to get pictures made that will hopefully show all the detail of the painting? I'd love to have it printed on canvas.

Thanks for any help or idea!

I would call them and ask if they know of any artists who could photograph the painting and print it onto canvas. There are canvases that have a texture like paintbrush strokes, and if the photographer used a high resolution camera and canvas, you would be able to get a similar feel as the original painting.

It won't be cheap!

Have you considered tracing the outline of the design and then recreating it at your new house or better yet, on canvas? I know it would be a lot of work but it may be easier in the long run. Especially if you used canvas. You won't have to deal with the wall texture an it will but a must faster project.

Murals are a pain to paint and I understand the desire to want to take it with you. My oldest ds's room was painted by me (and him at 2-4yo), by hand floor to ceiling. Dd's room was hand painted in swirls and swooshes from the mid level down, and above the mid level in a blended solid color that faded from blue to purple and back to blue around the room. Then she had a fairy border at the mid line.