Menu

I am so excited~

hsmykids

I have been going around in circles for the longest time trying to figure out what we are using for next year. I always wanted to use Oak Meadow and for some reason I have been afraid..... I think maybe it's all the writing and that is my weakest area. Anyway, my dh said enough searching I like the idea of Oak Meadow and bought it all for me yesterday including the art set of all things. :lol: I work outside the home so to have everything together is fantastic! Please all Oak Meadow users tell me how very wonderful it is.

Cool! :) I don't know what grade/s you're talking about, but I used Oak Meadow 4 with my daughter last year, we're nearly done with Oak Meadow 5 for this year, and we are looking forward to moving on to Oak Meadow 6 next year. I love Oak Meadow!

I had also done several weeks of Oak Meadow Kindergarten with my son early last fall but had to drop it when I realized he wasn't interested enough/focused enough to do ANY sort of curriculum, even one as gentle and sweet as Oak Meadow. But we'll be giving it another try this fall when he's closer to 6 than to 5 and I'm expecting it to go much better this time around.

I've got lots of info on Oak Meadow in my blog, if you want to take a peek just click on the link in my signature. The main entries are all basically our day to day homeschooling lives as relaxed homeschoolers using Oak Meadow but if you explore the sidebar to the left you'll find all sorts of other information. Reviews (including an Oak Meadow review), schedule samples (How I took a weekly OM lesson for the various grades and broken it down into daily lessons), and more.

Good luck with it, hope you enjoy it as much as we do! :)

I love hearing this! I'm nervous because it's so hard to tell what this actually is since it's so different. Anyone one that enjoys it as much as you Nance makes me want to take the plunge. I was going to buy the online since it's so much cheaper, but I found out you only have twelve months. We're not planning on starting until September since it's seasonal -- not sure how seasonal it really is yet. I'm 100% ordering, just wavering about online or hardcopy. After talking to Oak Meadow, 1st grade and 3rd would fit my kids nicely. :)

Nance,

We seem to be at the same level. I order grade 6 Ancient History for my kids. Now, if I have any questions on where to begin I know who to contact :lol: Thank you for your advise. Now, I am looking forward to this year ending and starting next year. Oh, by the way, do you enroll your daughter or just use the books? I was going to enroll but NYS won't reconize their credits. Bummer......

We used OM6 this year. I have mixed feelings about it. We LOVED the math and the science....but the social studies not so much. We enjoyed the ancients, but once it got to the middle ages into the renaissance, he thought it was seriously boring. Truthfully, I did too.

This curric. is also very writing intensive, so if you have a child who has trouble writing or seriously dislikes it, it might pose a problem. My son does not like to write and it takes him forever to write anything. I decided to pick and choose, and we discussed a lot instead of writing it out.

I love hearing this! I'm nervous because it's so hard to tell what this actually is since it's so different. Anyone one that enjoys it as much as you Nance makes me want to take the plunge. I was going to buy the online since it's so much cheaper, but I found out you only have twelve months. We're not planning on starting until September since it's seasonal -- not sure how seasonal it really is yet. I'm 100% ordering, just wavering about online or hardcopy. After talking to Oak Meadow, 1st grade and 3rd would fit my kids nicely. :)

Mainly the science is seasonal and maybe some of the crafts, but you can always skip to a different season's section if you need to, like if you start in a different season. I always wait until around Labor Day to start anyway, we like to enjoy our summer vacations! :D

Nance,

We seem to be at the same level. I order grade 6 Ancient History for my kids. Now, if I have any questions on where to begin I know who to contact :lol: Thank you for your advise. Now, I am looking forward to this year ending and starting next year. Oh, by the way, do you enroll your daughter or just use the books? I was going to enroll but NYS won't reconize their credits. Bummer......

I just use the books, it seemed too expensive to enroll! I hope you guys end up loving OM as much as we do. :)

We used OM6 this year. I have mixed feelings about it. We LOVED the math and the science....but the social studies not so much. We enjoyed the ancients, but once it got to the middle ages into the renaissance, he thought it was seriously boring. Truthfully, I did too.

This curric. is also very writing intensive, so if you have a child who has trouble writing or seriously dislikes it, it might pose a problem. My son does not like to write and it takes him forever to write anything. I decided to pick and choose, and we discussed a lot instead of writing it out.

Hopefully we won't find the social studies to be boring! I do agree that OM is pretty writing intensive, especially from 4th grade on, but I do think it's fine to adapt some for your particular child. If OM says "write two pages" and you think your child would be better served writing one page, you're the boss! :) If you want to have your child type instead of hand write, that's up to you! If sometimes you think it might be better to do things orally, or discuss things instead of writing about them some of the time, you can. Every now and then we do revise things somewhat or substitute somewhat or shorten things somewhat, or sometimes I help her a bit more with a particular assignment and so on. So far it's all worked out beautifully.

On the plus side, they do at least make the writing assignments interesting/creative, and they give various choices so that a kid can pick which writing assignment they want to do. And a lot of the other things are projects and crafts and activities that are more hands-on, and they use living books and so on to tie everything in, integrating English and Social Studies and the arts and crafts... I like that about it a lot.

Hopefully we won't find the social studies to be boring! I do agree that OM is pretty writing intensive, especially from 4th grade on, but I do think it's fine to adapt some for your particular child. If OM says "write two pages" and you think your child would be better served writing one page, you're the boss! :) If you want to have your child type instead of hand write, that's up to you! If sometimes you think it might be better to do things orally, or discuss things instead of writing about them some of the time, you can. Every now and then we do revise things somewhat or substitute somewhat or shorten things somewhat, or sometimes I help her a bit more with a particular assignment and so on. So far it's all worked out beautifully.

On the plus side, they do at least make the writing assignments interesting/creative, and they give various choices so that a kid can pick which writing assignment they want to do. And a lot of the other things are projects and crafts and activities that are more hands-on, and they use living books and so on to tie everything in, integrating English and Social Studies and the arts and crafts... I like that about it a lot.

Nance, the part I bolded is so helpful to hear. I sometimes get caught up in having to do it all exactly like it states. Thank you for reminding me of the obvious. From the samples of grade 3, there's a fair amount of writing also. I'm glad we are doing 3 this year in preparation for 4. :)

I agree with this. Even though it didn't work out for us, my son did like the projects and the drawing. It was something different that you don't see in other curriculum. :)