Menu

ACT/SAT has anyone tried working the tests backwards?

I'm reading Upside Down Brilliance and the idea it presents that VSL students perform better with more complex problems is something that I've noticed with my son for many years now.

An idea occurred to me that perhaps my son would perform better on the ACT/SAT if he were to do the more difficult problems first and then, hopefully, be fully engaged in the test to do the simple questions without making mistakes.

All the test prep materials we have used so far have said to make sure to do the easy questions first so that more time can be spent on the harder questions. Since the VSL student zones out on the easy problems, would it make sense to get the "whole brain" stimulated first, and then use that momentum to do the easy questions?

This is probably a crazy idea...has anyone tried it?

I'm reading Upside Down Brilliance and the idea it presents that VSL students perform better with more complex problems is something that I've noticed with my son for many years now.

An idea occurred to me that perhaps my son would perform better on the ACT/SAT if he were to do the more difficult problems first and then, hopefully, be fully engaged in the test to do the simple questions without making mistakes.

All the test prep materials we have used so far have said to make sure to do the easy questions first so that more time can be spent on the harder questions. Since the VSL student zones out on the easy problems, would it make sense to get the "whole brain" stimulated first, and then use that momentum to do the easy questions?

This is probably a crazy idea...has anyone tried it?

Hmmm...no, but interesting idea. I may ask my daughter to give it a shot the next time she tries the SAT. The student would have to take care not to get bogged down in trying to solve all the difficult problems first, but answer the difficult ones that just seem easy. Otherwise the timing would be thrown off.

Barb