Menu

At what age/grade do you stop doing grammar?

Gamom3

Ds will be doing the 6th grade book of R&S next yr for 7th grade..we started a year late with the curriculum, so instead of starting him in the 3rd grade book we started with the 2nd grade.

That would put him doing the 8th grade book in 9th grade. At what age/grade do you stop doing grammar?

That would put him doing the 8th grade book in 9th grade. At what age/grade do you stop doing grammar?

Ummm.......never. ;)

I have always tied grammar and writing together. (I'm sorry but I just do not understand how teaches one without the other. Boggles my mind.)

So, when we evaluate literature or their own writing, we often get into grammar discussions. Voice, tense, etc are simple concepts we discuss. Sentence construction discussions are grammared based.

My sister is a "writer" and totally disagrees with me. She thinks studying grammar is a waste of time and that you just know it intuitively.

Well.....with that philosophy my kids would write exactly how they talk. That approach is a BIG no-no in our household. (I certainly don't want them writing the way I write on these forums!!!) Writing and talking are not companion approaches in academics. ;) My kids are taught to write formally. I don't know how else to approach that other than through solid English grammar. :)