Menu

If you didn't start serious classical education until later in the grammar years...

melissel

...do you feel like you caught up to your satisfaction, or that your kids learned what you wanted them to learn even though you started late?

For various reasons (mainly, I was working until last year), DD8's K, 1st, and 2nd grade years were very light. We did much better this year, but even so, I've been re-reading TWTM, and I feel like I missed so much that I intended to do and wanted to do. Now I'm not sure whether I should backtrack and make sure that groundwork is laid or whether I should pick up where we are and hope the foundation is strong enough. DD8 is very smart, so there are some things I'm comfortable with, but we haven't done nearly enough narration for my taste (and according to TWTM), for example. I feel like that skill should be more concrete by now.

Can you share your experience, if you have it? Reassurances? Dire warnings? Advice? WWYD?

TIA!

Edited by melissel

:bigear: We've really only joined the classical set this year, so I've got DS8 and DS12 who both will now be doing narrations in earnest.....

So of course I'm stressing that our grammar stage has been very light on by comparison.

We are very relaxed in the younger years- no formal math, grammar, or spelling until 3rd grade or so.

We did do phonics and lots of oral narrations and discussions and WWE 1-3 (in grades 3rd and 4th, so even that was late), and history and science tend to be hit or miss too.

That said my older boys are going to be in 5th and 6th next year and (with the big exception of no latin) we are doing pretty much everything listed in TWTM. And I don't think they'll have a hard time of it.

Logic- Critical Thinking

Math- they are in Singapore 4B and 5B, so slightly behind grade level, but we only do the IP's and CWP (no workbooks) so I don't feel bad about it ;) and they both went through three books last year, so they might this year too.

History- we are going to do HO Middle Ages, while we might not do all the writing it requires, I think they are ready for short summaries about people and one or two level outlines. I have plans to add lots of extra books (especially since my oldest has been reading them as soon as they arrive.)

Spelling- okay, we stink here, but truthfully, I don't think things would be better if we'd been drilling everyday since 1st grade. My 6th grader is using Megawords and really likes it (but I don't know if it helps or not), he's almost done with level 2. His spelling is mediocre. My 5th grader is going to start at the beginning of Spelling WorkOut. His spelling stinks.

Grammar- we did do FLL3 a couple years ago and the boys are going to do R&S at level for next year, so 5 and 6. I was going to do 4 and 5, but after getting them and trying out some lessons, I put them in at grade level (do you want to by a set of R&S English 4???)

Writing- my younger has done WWE1-3, my older WWE 1-2, and WT 1-2. We are going to use Writing Strands next year. I think the younger levels 2 and 3, and the older levels 3 and 4. I also am going to fit in CW Poetry for Beginners.

Science- CPO Earth

Spanish- my mix of many things

Art/Music- except for guitar practice these are still up in the air, but art is hard to completely ignore when you are studing Middle Ages/Renaissance

Sure some of our actual choices are a little different then TWTM, but I really feel like they are doing okay (especially if we can ignore the spelling thing, all right, I hate spelling :glare:).

So I really feel like it has worked out just fine for my kids. But I get the feeling here that it doesn't work that way for all kids :confused: So maybe my advice isn't relevant :confused: But if it means anything, I am planning on being even more relaxed for my next two :D Notice my ds5 is still just under "the littles"

:lurk5: We're in the same boat, so no words of advice, but I'd be interested in hearing others experiences, too. :bigear:

This is me, too. DD will be starting 4th and I'm struggling with where to start WWE and Science. I haven't yet done the placement tests for WWE (that's in the plan for sometime in the next couple of weeks) and I have NO idea how I want to handle science yet.

Now I'm off to continue reading posts... maybe the answer is there and I just haven't read it yet :D

DD will be starting 4th and I'm struggling with where to start WWE and Science.

For WWE, I'd get the hardback text and work through the samples until you get to a hard spot. I would guess she could work through most of levels 1 and 2, and be nearly ready for 3, but it is hard to start in level three without some leading up to it. And depending on how far through 2 she can get, you may find it just as easy to make up a few of your own weeks, instead of getting the whole workbook.

What is CPO Earth?

It is a middle school text. Somewhere around here are links to the whole student books online. Here try this thread- http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253045&highlight=cpo+life

Thanks for the info, Mallory! We actually tried WWE1 but it was very easy for DD and she was bored, I was bored and I just didn't "get it" for how it was supposed to work. This was back in 2nd grade. We scrapped it about half way through the year.

I was going to use the placement tests, but I'm guessing we'll start in WWE2 and if it seems easy, we'll move faster and then pick up WWE3. I'm not sure how well she'd do on the dictation. That would be our hang-up, not so much the copywriting and the narration.