Menu

Coffee machines - which one do I want?

Mother's Day is coming up here in Australia, and although we don't usually spend money on gifts, dh has suggested that they give me a coffee machine. The fact that I am currently single-handedly re-flooring the house with a laminate floating floor might have something to do with this suddent change in gift policy!

I am not a coffee expert, in fact, until 7 years ago, when I moved to a city that had Stabucks AND Costa Coffee AND Second Cup I really didn't drink much coffee at all. I now drink 2-3 cups a day, the first two before I talk to the kids in the morning. I like a latte - iced latte in summer - and sometimes a capuchino. The machine has to be really small as we have very limited counter space in the kitchen. It needs to froth milk because the kids like their Babychinos :001_smile:. Single serve would be fine, I think. I understand from my research that many machines use the little capsule things. I am not really comfortable with using disposable stuff, so would prefer a machine with refillable capsules or pods or pads or whatever it is that the various machines use. Cost is not a major issue, except in the sense that I will feel guilty spending money on something as frivolous as a coffee machine.

There are so many machines on the market, and I really have no idea what to ask Google - I don't know what the machine needs to do to give me the cup of coffee I want.

Any recommendations or things to avoid or look for?

Thanks!

Nikki (Now missing Starbucks/Costa Coffee/Second Cup in Australia)

I like the Mr. Coffee brand machines. I have a two cup drip coffee maker and an espresso maker. Both are the Mr. Coffee brands and have held up really well.

We drink coffee several times per day. Both machines get used at least 3 times per day.

I have found it isn't so much the machine but the quality of the coffee that you use.

Is there a "refurbished" type spot you could shop? When I purchased the Starbuck's machine, for mother's day, I purchased a "refurbished" one. The machine was half price, with a half of the warranty offered. (Made sense, right? Half price, half warranty) It still works, although at the moment, it's in the basement.

:)