Menu

Switching from TOG to SOTW

kchara

I don't want to. I'm just about in tears to leave TOG right now, I really do love it that much. But... I just don't think we can afford it. :( We still have units to finish from this year, and we priced next year and... yeah. Not thinking we can swing it. I have to buy the primary resources because they just aren't available at our library.

I'm thinking of just starting over with SOTW, since it doesn't follow exactly precisely along with TOG, b/c I have SOTW 1 already, and I should be able to pick up the activity guide from our other house in a month or so. (Probably just keep on a history break until then.) I'm thinking that maybe in a year or so, we'll be able to pull out TOG again. DD will be D by then, and DS will be about to transition into D, and DS2 will be strong into LG.

How hard would it be to switch back and forth like that?

It does? So... it says in the secondary resources to use SOTW 2 and 3... How does it work Unit 4?

DH says that he thinks we might be able to swing TOG, but I'm not so sure. If I could count on our library, I might feel better, but I can't. :glare: Irritates me to no end. I like to buy from Bookshelf Central, to support them, but I might have to go with Amazon this year.

Can anyone tell me if the Prime membership is worth it?

Can't see why you would need it. Amazon offers free shipping for most of their books on orders of $25 or more. They also have many 4 for 3 (four books for the price of three) promotional offers that qualify for free shipping as well.

Geo

Edited by Geo

• 2 months later...

OP-have you made any decisions? I think I'm in a similar position, only we are on yr1 this year. I already have SOTW and think I may just use it this year, even though I'm starting to lean toward TOG for the long term. I don't know how hard it will be to switch to TOG next year if we do that for yr2.

I'm guessing you've enjoyed TOG yr1 then? How old are your little ones?

Is it possible for either of you to use the DE version and buy the units over time?...That is what I am doing...I will also have to buy the books over time as well...We can't afford to lay out the entire price up front this year, but being able to spend $45 for each DE unit over time will work out for us...

I think SOTW would be a fine choice if you wanted to switch, but if you want to use TOG into the future, maybe there is a way to work it out for this year...

What stages are your kids in?...Maybe someone here on the boards have the books you would need and can sell then to you...

It does? So... it says in the secondary resources to use SOTW 2 and 3... How does it work Unit 4?

DH says that he thinks we might be able to swing TOG, but I'm not so sure. If I could count on our library, I might feel better, but I can't. :glare: Irritates me to no end. I like to buy from Bookshelf Central, to support them, but I might have to go with Amazon this year.

I cannot tell for your purposes if the Prime membership is worth it, but it sure is for us. We use Amazon all. the. time.

FWIW, I got the books for Y3U1 either used or free / nearly free on my Kindle for around half of what it would have cost buying new. Some I had to get new, but not many. You can find great deals on the free books, and if you are willing to take ones that aren't in good condition but are "acceptable" condition, then you can REALLY cut the costs. Prime does not apply to used books. I'm all about "supporting" a business I like, but my family comes first. If they cannot offer me the best price, I would not throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater, kwim?

I would price the books used first... addall.com seaches mulitple sites of used booksellers and you can get some of the primary resources (story of the us series) for under $5 shipped. MUCH better than 18-20 on AZ.

Some books are just plain old hard to find cheaply, but you can sometimes skip those books, or get a substitute from your library.

Edited by lcelmer